Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1995 SL320
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 SL320 and my one and only one MB remote control finally R.I.P today. I actually had asked someone to tow my car to the shop and had them unlock the immobilizer for me today$$$$. Right now, I can start, drive, lock/unlock my car with the metal key. I am thinking to install an aftermarket entry system, I had sreached the site and found some info. but I still have some questions and appreciate if someone can help me out.

/ I found this on ebay, does anyone try and can tell me if it really works?
MERCEDES BENZ R129 KEYLESS ENTRY SL320 SL500 SL600 - eBay (item 330455546758 end time Dec-24-10 11:55:59 PST)

/ Can I use my old metal key and install in this new remote control unit?

/ Do I need to transplant any electronics (e.g. transponder, actually I don't know what it is) from my dead remote to the new aftermarket one?

/ Someone told me that if I have my battery change in the future, the car will be locked and I still need the orginial MB I/R remote to unlock the car, is this ture?

Many questions in my head need to be sorted out before I can start this project, thank you very much for any help in advance. Cheers.

·
Registered
2007 CLS 550, 1998 Harley Road King, 2011 F-150 EcoBoost, '65 Shelby Cobra
978 Posts
I have a 95 SL320 and my one and only one MB remote control finally R.I.P today. I actually had asked someone to tow my car to the shop and had them unlock the immobilizer for me today$$$$. Right now, I can start, drive, lock/unlock my car with the metal key. I am thinking to install an aftermarket entry system, I had sreached the site and found some info. but I still have some questions and appreciate if someone can help me out.

/ I found this on ebay, does anyone try and can tell me if it really works?
MERCEDES BENZ R129 KEYLESS ENTRY SL320 SL500 SL600 - eBay (item 330455546758 end time Dec-24-10 11:55:59 PST)

/ Can I use my old metal key and install in this new remote control unit?

/ Do I need to transplant any electronics (e.g. transponder, actually I don't know what it is) from my dead remote to the new aftermarket one?

/ Someone told me that if I have my battery change in the future, the car will be locked and I still need the orginial MB I/R remote to unlock the car, is this ture?

Many questions in my head need to be sorted out before I can start this project, thank you very much for any help in advance. Cheers.
I bought one similar, but not exactly the same. I was able to install my metal key into the new fob.

I have disconnected my battery and reconnected it without an anti-theft issue.

You don't need anything from the dead remote.

HOWEVER, WARNING, WARNING: This is not as straightforward an installation as the ebay advert says it is. I would not attempt this as a DYI project. Find someone who really knows the R129 and can read all the wiring diagrams. Splicing into the existing system is not easy. It took a German Electrical Engineer two days to get mine right.

·
Registered
1995 SL320
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for your info.
Do you have all the functions as the advertisement says? Like the signal lights flash when you operate the remote, window roll up/down, etc....
Is it installed in the trunk area and all the work take place in the trunk only? Do I need to run any cable from the trunk to the cabinet?
After the installtion, do you need your old remote in any case?
Thank you and Cheers

·
Registered
2007 CLS 550, 1998 Harley Road King, 2011 F-150 EcoBoost, '65 Shelby Cobra
978 Posts
Thanks for your info.
Do you have all the functions as the advertisement says? Like the signal lights flash when you operate the remote, window roll up/down, etc....
Is it installed in the trunk area and all the work take place in the trunk only? Do I need to run any cable from the trunk to the cabinet?
After the installtion, do you need your old remote in any case?
Thank you and Cheers
My SL is MY92 and does not have those functions anyway. I have to listen for the locks to latch. No lights flash and my windows do not go up or down. All installation takes place in the trunk. No cable to the cabinet. After install, throw your old remote away.

·
Registered
1995 SL320
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds good, finally I can break up with my remote.
Just one last question; On ebay, there are some items avaliable but one is just about $40 and others are $150. What the different? How much was yours? Cheers.

·
Registered
1991 500 SL and 1993 600SL
129 Posts
Installed the one you are looking at...took me 2 hours. Follow directions, and call their help line if needed. Works well..have it on my 600sl. I hooked it up to flash park lights, and all is good.

·
Registered
1995 SL320
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks jeeze, so yours also no such functions as singal light flash and window rolling?
Could you put the orginial metal key into the new key fob?
Cheers

·
Registered
'97 SL500, 06 Subaru Outback, LL Bean 3.0
735 Posts
I almost sprung for one but decided there was nothing wrong with my IR except it doesn't help much if I lose my car. I like everything else about it.

·
Registered
1995 SL320
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Does anyone have the details informtion on how to connect an aftermarket remote lock/unlock system to my SL320 1995 please? I had located the vaccum control unit in the right side of my trunk but don't know how to connect the aftermarket keyless entry system in it. Hoping to have some advices before messing it up with those wires.
Thank you very much.

Here is my Vaccum control unit and the wiring in the trunk.

·
Registered
1991 500 SL and 1993 600SL
129 Posts
They have pretty good instructions with pictures if its the one you got in earlier posts.
You are looking for yellow wires in that cluster you have a pic of.
Yes I did get my original key put in with a little bit of thought

·
Registered
1995 SL320
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Finally, I had the aftermarket keyless entry system installed. I now have much better range, with visual confirmation and the remote looks much cooler. I am happy with it.
Regarding to the wiring, all I have to do is to cut one of the green wire in the vaccum pump which has 12V and connect to the aftermarket unit.

I don't need the orginial remote anymore so do I have to disconnect the orginal alarm module in the trunk?

·
Registered
1995 SL320
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had asked the same question and I am not sure. But here was the respond from another maker that I asked before "The original remote will work in any case, our module has input lines for remote which are +12V normally and GND when a button is pressed."
Reinhold Engineering

cheers

·
Registered
'90 300SL
131 Posts
Just wondering since you just got this installed...

Do the windows roll down if you hold down in the "unlock" position?

How about rolling up in the "lock" position

Also, is there an actual mercedes benz logo on the key? :D

·
Registered
1995 SL320
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I didn't purchase this one
I had purchased another after market keyless system locally but I guess they are all the same.
No window roll up/down. No Mercedes logo on the key.

·
Registered
SL500 1990, USA specification. Chassis No. WDB FA66E5 LF 005675
47 Posts
Purchased and fitted the unit listed in first post (page 1).

Came exactly as photos in E-bay advert.

Had good instructions included - not toooo complex to fit - works perfectly.

Linked the output wires (provided) into indicator wiring, for confirmation flashes.
Also very easy.

So good, have not tried the door key since...

Except when the battery was flat, to open the trunk and jump start.

Such an improvement on infra-red!!

Sometimes stand near the car pushing "open" then "close" buttons.....

Ali Denton-Cardew.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts