Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
mercedes 300sel
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so today i finished changing the guide rod bushing, i removed the caster bucket replaced the bushing inside with alot of frustration, so the new caster nucket is ready to put in, but im having alot of trouble puting this back on. do i need to remove the guide rod that attaches itself to the lower control arm? is that nessasary? and if so how can this be done? i tried hard and it wont budge. any advise?

·
Registered
'99 C230k
26 Posts
I know what you're talking about. Did mine around a month ago now. I opened up the guide rod a bit. There is a slot in the rod. I placed the bracket on a hydraulic floor jack and raised it until it was snug with the car. While putting pressure upwards with the jack, I began to screw in the guide thread to the guide rod. Took a while, but I was able to get it in completely.

·
Registered
One Smoke Silver '87 570SEC, one Black Pearl '87 560SEL
4,524 Posts
Did mine last weekend. You do not have to remove the rod to get the threaded portion to start. I took the bolt loose that holds the guide rod to the lower suspension arm and removed the lower compression fitting/device. That allows the rod to be moved sufficiently toward the inside of the car to give you -just- enough room to start the threads.

If you need more info, give me a call.
Mike R.
Las Vegas
(702) 494-8056

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Exactly what mike said..The rod you are trying to screw in, loosen the bolt that holds it to the lower A arm, that will give you the maneuverability required to get it threaded.

Jonathan

·
Registered
mercedes 300sel
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you very much. that was exactly what i was thinking that i shoudl loosen the guide rod from the lower control arm so i can get the tread screwed in, although my problem is that i tried will all my force and the bold to loosen the guide rod is not budging, even after alot of wd40, any recomendations,? i realy dont want to tow this to the dealership and pay extra for such a small problem. thansk for all the ehlp guys

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Well, a couple of things.. First, get yourself a can of Real penitrating oil..WD40 only good for what it's namesake..displacing water. PB Blaster has served me very well over the years or any of the CRC products.

Try prying out the bushing that is on the lower side of the control arm for the guide rod. Once you remove the nut completely you should be able to get something in there to wiggle the bushing free.

With that you'll be able to get it together.

Jonathan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts