Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1978 450 SLC
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just installed a new pioneer 4950 CD player in my 450 SLC and Im not getting anything out of the speakers. Im running direct from the head unit to the speakers- no amps. I must admit that initially I had the front speakers + & - wires hooked up the wrong way around. I reversed them and the unit worked. sounded great. But I returned the next day to complete the speaker instalation and I've now got nothing. The unit itself works, plays CDs but Im just not getting anything out of the speakers....not a crackle.. Ive checked all the wiring (from the harness and speakers) over 500 times and cant find a fault, I replaced the 10a fuse in the head unit and still nothing. Did I stuff the inbuilt amp by having the speakers hooked up the wrong way? any suggestions?

·
Registered
Volvo 940GLE, GMC Suburban, Infiniti I30, Toyota Prius, VW GTI, MB SLK350, Lexus IS250
1,063 Posts
78-450 slc said:
....Did I stuff the inbuilt amp by having the speakers hooked up the wrong way? any suggestions?
As long as the speakers don't have AMPs attached, polarity on the wire only make sure the speakers are inphase. Are the speaker of the correct impedance such as 8 ohms or 4 ohms to match the HU output?

·
Registered
1978 450 SLC
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
problem solved- slow process of elimination. one of the rear speaker terminals was making contact with the metal shelf and shorting the circuit. What tricked me was that the whole pioneer head unit stops working to ALL speakers when this happens. Had to isolate by individually checking all channels. Have corrected and now works just fine...now for a beer....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts