Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1982 300SD
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put new tires on my 1982 300SD. The last tires were left over
from the used 15in rims I put on two years ago. When I swapped tires and refrinished the rims this spring the rear tires had worn on the inside much more than the outside. So the wheels were flexing inwards at rear like this / \ . However my winter tires
don't suffer the same wear. What do I need to adjust in the rear suspension or whatever to straighten up these wheels?

Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Premium Member
Tribute 500SEC AMG Widebody
6,242 Posts
IAR said:
I just put new tires on my 1982 300SD. The last tires were left over
from the used 15in rims I put on two years ago. When I swapped tires and refrinished the rims this spring the rear tires had worn on the inside much more than the outside. So the wheels were flexing inwards at rear like this / \ . However my winter tires
don't suffer the same wear. What do I need to adjust in the rear suspension or whatever to straighten up these wheels?

Thanks for any suggestions.
W126 rear camber cannot be adjusted without a Kmac camber kit or the like. Sounds like sagging springs, worn bushings, worn shocks could contribute to your negative camber issue. The difference between your summer/winter tires could be due to the make of tire and rated tread life. Also, differences in rim widths and offsets slightly effect rear negative camber. Assuming you have separate wheel sets for each of seasonal tire sets.

Hope that helps.

·
BenzWorld W126 Host
NOW: '90 560SEL WALD & SEC front Conversion. EOL:83/500SEC 5,6l 86/300SE 86/420SE 87/420SEL 87/260SE
828 Posts
I'm going to be replacing the rear left on Jaks420 this week, I'll post pics and how to... the left wheel is / and right is fine, this rubs on the inner wall and he's blown two tires on the hw...

On my SEC I'm running the / \ cause it is so low to the ground, and compansate with high tire pressure. I've been interested in the kmac kit, but no one has one and can say wether it'll make it worse or better. I know some of the bmw kits really screw things up.... normally it's cause of wear, but also bent rods, or just lowering with wide rims/tires could do this

·
Premium Member
Tribute 500SEC AMG Widebody
6,242 Posts
Kmac Discussions

Englevakten said:
I'm going to be replacing the rear left on Jaks420 this week, I'll post pics and how to... the left wheel is / and right is fine, this rubs on the inner wall and he's blown two tires on the hw...

On my SEC I'm running the / \ cause it is so low to the ground, and compansate with high tire pressure. I've been interested in the kmac kit, but no one has one and can say wether it'll make it worse or better. I know some of the bmw kits really screw things up.... normally it's cause of wear, but also bent rods, or just lowering with wide rims/tires could do this
Kmac discussions:

http://db.mercedes.cx/mbsearch?word...=long&sort=score&restrict=560sec&config=fuzzy

·
Registered
1982 300SD
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check out the posts for some pics and take a look at my springs, and shocks. They probably have something to do with it. Also thanks for the link to the kmac discussion.

·
Registered
1990 560SEC Euro
96 Posts
I have a lowered 560SEC with self-leveling rear suspension, but I keep the rear a little higher than I'd like, in the interest of (reasonably) even tire wear. My question: Has anybody ever checked into RAISING the differential about 1 to 1-1/4 inch, which would bring the wheels back near zero camber, even with the car lowered?

I've looked at the shop manual enough to think it might be possible, IF there is room beneath the floor pan to allow the differential to be raised. Still, there are probably about 15 reasons it can't be done. Anybody have thoughts?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts