Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
93 190E 2.6; 82 300 SD Turbo
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all,

the driver's side inside door handle on my 300sd is loose and perhaps needs replaced. Can anyone tell me how i can get to it? and How much a replacement would cost?

Thanks
Kris

·
Registered
24 Posts
May just need a tighten up. You will have to take the door panel off. Not hard if you know where to find ALL the screws. The tiny ones on the rear of window frame must come off, armrest, two screws around door lock, one in the handle itself under the plastic cover etc.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
any more details on how to remove the door trim? and what to do once inside?

·
Registered
1985 300sd
445 Posts
I would be happy to help, since I have a great deal of experience in this area, whether that is good or bad, I still don't really know. Anyway here goes. There are three screws attachig the door pull to the door. Two of them you can unscrew without any additional effort but looking under the armrest/door handle and unscreweing them. Next, you will need to remove the black plastic piece located directly behind the door handle you will be replacing. To do this get a thin tool, like a nail file and pry gently between the plastic piece and the piece on which the seat adjustment switch seems to be attached to. Once you have popped this piece out, open the door handle (chrome one) all the way and completely remove the plastic piece. You should see one screw which hold the larger metal/plastic attachment piece through which the door pull goes through. Unscrew that piece and open the door handle all the way and that piece should slide back enough to allow you access to the final screw securing the handle. Unscrew that piece. If I recall correctly you need to remove the door panel to remove the door handle. To do this, you will need to go to the back of that door and you should see a chrome shine C shaped piece in which there are two screws. Remove those screws. Next lift up on the door panel ( straight up) and you should feel it moving up, and then remove it, but be careful, because you probably didn't disconnect the courtesy light at the bottom of the door panel. There should be 3 screw attaching the chrome handle on so unscrew those as well. There is a hanger looking piece that connects into the back of the handle, just pull that piece upwards, and install the new handle. Handles will run around 21.95, if I recall correctly, www.performanceproducts.com has them. Hopefully somebody can post a manual excerpt diagraming this. I would, but I don't know how to post pictures.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the info

pictures are easy to post simply goto www.photobucket.com--its a free image hosting service

register there and upload your pictures to them..

then they will provide you with links that you can add into your posting to Benzworld...you want to use the link that starts with:

If you could post pictures i would appreciate it, i might attack this problem this weekend...do i Need a NEW HANDLE or can i simply tighen the one i have down more? Also the piece of the arm rest that goes into the door has come loose--when i take apart the door is there any thing i can do to tighen it?

Thanks
Kris

·
Registered
24 Posts
Which part is loose? If its by the handle you may find the problem is connected. If its one of the lower ones you may have lost the screw. You need to remove this anyway to remove door panel. The description on how to remove the panel is fine but dont forget the small moulding that runs up the window frame. Two or three very tiny screws. Your door panel aint going nowhere unless you remove it

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will post a picture soon, i just got to get my camera. But if u look at the handle..it dips down like say the handle usually sits at 0 degrees..well its hanging at about -20 or so
so its hanging down also i have to tighen the arm rest's connection to the door near the handle

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is a picture...

·
1991 500SEC sub 50K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 150K mi. 2018
4,219 Posts
Hi Kris,

http://www.mercedessource.com/kitsandupgrades.html has a repair kit to replace your handle. See item 126IKU-DDP. Looks like it comes with the replacement part and good instructions.

Cheers, MBL

Attachments

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the link MBL I was just gonna ask if anyone had instructions look like I get this, its merely 5 or 6 dollars more than the handle at Autohaus AZ. I will probably order this and install it over spring break.

Kris

1 - 11 of 11 Posts