Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1995 S420
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, while jumpstarting my '95 S420 at night, I inadvertently "crossed" the jump cable terminals, i.e. clamping the + clamp to the - terminal on the battery and vice versa. Anyway, right after starting up, I found the ASR & ABS lights stay on permanently, and my speedometer no longer works! both the odometer and tripmeter still display fine, but no longer advance, no doubt due to the inoperable speedometer. Everything else electrical is in working order. I would greatly appreciate any pointers. I've check all the fuses/relays and they're all fine. Thanks for your help.

· Registered
9 Posts
RE: Inoperable speedometer, ABS & ASR lights on due to "crossed" jumpstart

hi,

has anyone found out the solution to this problem?

my s320 has just started to show the same symptoms,

abs warning light on,

speedometer not working,

and the steering wheel becomes tight as the car is moving, but it works fine when the car is stationary.

please could someone help me out here?

aready at wits end[:(]

· Registered
W140 S600 300D300SD
222 Posts

hello folks, base on your descripttion of your problem, ur car needs to be taken to the mbenz repair shop and have your computer re-programmed and reset all the asr, abs, srs, and all the rest of the warnings lights, but as for the speedo gauge i think its toasted, no repairs for this, u need to replace the whole speedo and tripmeter, (really expensive), i've experienced this before with my dad's 94 300se, we had to replace the speedo instrumentation, but the rest was all re-programmed, as for the tight steering during idling, check your steering pump, steering rack and pinions,

drebdy
w123 '85 300D turbo
w126 '85 300SD turbo
w140 '96 S600

G

·

Take it to the dealer? That just rolls off the lips too easily nowadays. Why not have the speedo rebuilt? I found at least one with a quick internet search: http://benz-store.com/speedometer_repairs.html

I think they charge like $60 for an exchange, but a new one is about $1200, plus more dealer charges

I bet if your speedo comes back to life then it'll give your ABS etc. the info it needs to start operating...

· Registered
00 S500,99 4wgn,87TD
577 Posts

before it goes anyplace, remove the cover off the computer box on the right side. requires a 4mm allen wrench. the base module (closest to windshield) has 3 or 4 fuses on top. more than likely a couple are blown...

· Registered
9 Posts

thanks for the input guys.

the problem has been solved.

it was the ecu, gm unit.

now all i have to do is find a reasonably priced replacement.

or can the unit be repaired?

· Registered
1 Posts
Hey my friend I had the same problem luckily enough my mechanic told me bring it over. He opened the hood and where the box says battery in trunk there are 4 hex screws there unscrew them and change the fuse very simple and easy problem turn off the car while doing so and then turn it back on and you should have everything working in the way it was working. It cost me $5 to replace. I do not know if I am replying to this post late but hey some people might benefit from them as I did in other question answer posts

]

· Registered
93 300SD,79 300CD work in progress
48 Posts
I had a similar problem with my 93 300sd,the battery went dead and I couldn't get the trunk open.I hooked my jumpers straight to the post on the starter and got the car started and opened the trunk so I could charge the battery.After I got it charged I noticed my instrument cluster not working,but all the idiot lights and the temp gauge was working.Tried changing all the fuses,no good,so I removed it and sent it out to be fixed.The company I used is called BBA Reman their phone # is 866-573-2740.It ended costing under $200 including shipping both ways and insurance.It also has a lifetime warranty.They also repair alot of other components for MB and others.Their prices seem really reasonable and they stand behind their work.We had problems with a 95 e420 throttle actuator and sent it to them and it turned out to be good and all they charged us was a $35 bench fee.I will not hesitate to use them in the future.

· W140 Moderator
"CHRIS" Merc 92 600SEL / Sold > 93 600SE / 93 S500 / 89 560SEL / 413CDI / B180-CDI /A170-CDI
7,894 Posts
I do not know if I am replying to this post late but hey some people might benefit from them as I did in other question answer posts

]
LoL,Its not to later when you give a fix or even a Tip here on the Forum to Help other's to fix the Problem they may have but seeing how late it was ,just about 7 Years later ,lol.
Ciao & thanks for the Tips :thumbsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.