Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2003 G500, 2000 SL500, 1995 E320 Cabriolet, 1980 TR8
1,045 Posts
To my knowledge, no one has reproduced this part, although I wish someone would as I could use one too. How were you thinking of doing it? The long skinny nature of the part and the rigors of the automotive environment are going to make reproduction difficult.

·
Registered
1993 300CE Cabriolet
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To my knowledge, no one has reproduced this part, although I wish someone would as I could use one too. How were you thinking of doing it? The long skinny nature of the part and the rigors of the automotive environment are going to make reproduction difficult.
That's true, It could be made into sections. Two or three sections. As to materials don't know, maybe metal or plastic that doesn't shrink.

·
Premium Member
1993 300CE Cabriolet (mine) ; 1994 E320 Wagon (wife's) ; 1990 Benz 300E 2.6 (son's)
6,983 Posts
Thats the bow stretcher across the back of the interior of the convertible ?

not sure how you'd join those sections so its rigid enough, while you're installing a new top, that's under quite a bit of tension stretching the top onto the frame.

perhaps the best way to make it would be of Russian/Baltic Birch plywood ? shape it on a router table with a template, then encapsulate it with black epoxy ?

·
Registered
1993 300CE Cabriolet
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats the bow stretcher across the back of the interior of the convertible ?

not sure how you'd join those sections so its rigid enough, while you're installing a new top, that's under quite a bit of tension stretching the top onto the frame.

perhaps the best way to make it would be of Russian/Baltic Birch plywood ? shape it on a router table with a template, then encapsulate it with black epoxy ?
The shop that is replacing the top did a GREAT job piecing together the broken remains of the part. However it will need to be covered with black vinyl. Harry"s in west L.A. Can't say enough about this shop did a really nice job.

·
Registered
1995 W124 E320 Cabrio
177 Posts
The shop that is replacing the top did a GREAT job piecing together the broken remains of the part. However it will need to be covered with black vinyl. Harry"s in west L.A. Can't say enough about this shop did a really nice job.
Whoa, wait a min--you're redoing the top? What did they quote you? Are they using OEM canvas or aftermarket? My mechanic (George at G&N) has convinced me the OEM canvas is flawed given the inevitable wear at the fold seams, so I'm leaning towards aftermarket canvas.

New headliner? Cylinders? New window seals / drain rails?

Asking because I'm saving to have my entire top redone on my 95 E320 Cabrio

·
Registered
1993 300CE Cabriolet
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The car had minor rust problem that was addressed. Did not have to replace headliner, it was steam cleaned and looks great. Had a hard time finding rubber around rear window. As to the material, I went with the aftermarket due to the same concerns you have. Had to repair two cylinders. I live in southern California and mostly drive with the top down. Total cost $2500.
Good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts