Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen this before but I don't remember the thread where they appeared. Can somebody give the part numbers for these? It would be nice if we could also purchase them online instead of at the dealerships.

I just cleaned the banjo line on my car and I was thinking of rigging this to prevent any contamination of the vacuum lines.

My idea is to install one on the ALDA boost line and the two lines that branch out from the main vacuum line from the vacuum pump. I could take out all vacuum lines under the engine bay first and clean them out, then install the filters and lines back to the car.

They look like the inline prefilters/fuel filters on diesels, except that they have a paper filter inside to trap the soot and the ends are of narrower openings to fit the vacuum lines.

·
Registered
1982 300CD
5,162 Posts
I think one on the line from the rear of the intake manifold should do it. And maybe one on the VCV "dump" line that ends in the cabin.

The ALDA reading system is a pressure system unto itself, and the vacuum system should only have that one in at the VCV. Barring any leaks, that is.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I *think* the part number is 000-078-06-56. The listings are a little screwy, but I'm ordering one in to know for sure. They're about 4-5 dollars. Looks very similar to a lawn mower fuel filter.

BTW, another good place to put one is in the vacuum line coming from the shutoff valve on the injection pump. The filters are clear, so they're real easy to glance at when checking the oil to see if the shut off diaphram is starting to rupture and leak oil into the vacuum system. Much easier to do this than to have to clean the oil out of all the car's vacuum lines, which really sucks (pun intended)

Jamie

·
Registered
1982 300CD
5,162 Posts
You're talking about putting one on that orange line that goes to the shut off valve behind the IP? I didn't know it would release oil into the system if the diaphram failed. Seems weird. Good to know, though.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Jamie!! :p

Fortunately, M-B has come up with a neat little device to help you monitor the condition of your (diesel) vacuum pump and system. It is a small in-line transparent air filter that can be installed in the vacuum line where it connects to the T in the line to the brake booster (71). Simply cut the rubber vacuum line about 2 inches from the T and insert the filter. The filter paper in the strainer should "point" toward the vacuum pump. See The STAR, January/February 1992 for more on this handy device. (Gasoline engines without vacuum pumps do not need this filter)
Now, if the diaphragm in the vacuum pump should begin leaking, oil will be clearly visible in the filter, alerting you to the problem and preventing oil from entering the vacuum systems. The filter is part number 000 078 06 56

·
Registered
1979 and 1980 300TDs
401 Posts
Thanks Jamie!! :p
That part number brings up several different parts - but did find a thread at Pelican Parts where it states you can use a lawn mower filter or one made for a VW as well. When I was at Triangle auto parts here in Winter Park this weekend I saw a barrel full of them and now it isn't surprising considering they specialize in VW parts. I'll pick up a few there now that I know what they are used for.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That part number brings up several different parts - but did find a thread at Pelican Parts where it states you can use a lawn mower filter or one made for a VW as well. When I was at Triangle auto parts here in Winter Park this weekend I saw a barrel full of them and now it isn't surprising considering they specialize in VW parts. I'll pick up a few there now that I know what they are used for.
Well, it's been 8 years. :)

·
Registered
1980 300TD & 1985 300TD-T
6 Posts
Mine just arrived and when I went to replace it, I realized someone else put in a Mann fuel filter (wk31/2) so now I'm missing that "cap" connector. Any idea on what that part number might be?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts