Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1984 MERCEDES-BENZ 300 TURBO DIESEL, 1978 CHEVROLET K20 CUSTOM DELUXE
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello. when i remove my timing chain to change the guide rails how to i keep all of the gears from moving so i can put a new chain on when i am done changig the guides. the thing i am most concerned over is how do i keep the injection pump in time. how does it run off of the chain. thank you

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,070 Posts
The Mercedes Factory Service Manual give the best description of what to do.
Follow the order in the Manual.

Essentially you are going to Mark the Camshaft Gear; Remove the Timing Chain Tensioned (Re-installation of the Timing Chain Tensioner has instructions of its own) and Cut the Chain.

You are going to keep tension on the Left Side (this is the side with the Tensioner and large Timing Chain Rail) of the chain while you connect the New Chain to the Old Chain with a Temp Master Link that has a Sliding Retainer (It is very important not to use that temp Link on a running Engine).
Once Connected someone keeps tension both ends of the Chain as the Engine is slowly Rotated slowly by Hand the Timing Chain is pulled down and over the various Timing Gears.
You do that until the other end of the new Timing Chain comes out and is in the position you want it in to slide in the permanent Master Link so it can be properly crimped onto the Timing Chain.

If you drop the Timing chain or it gets slack during rotation it is possible to jump a tooth or Teeth and you will end up having to retime your Fuel Injection Pump.

The instructions for the use of the Timing Chain Crimping Tool in the Mercedes Manual is not good.
To see how others have done it:
Repair Links
DIY Links by Parts Category - PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum

PeachPartsWiki: Do It Yourself Articles - Mercedes Vehicles

1 - 2 of 2 Posts