Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I've got a 1985 300d with a blown engine. I picked up a 1984 engine that is essentially a long block, but it does have the injector pump on it. The 1985 models have an electrial connection to the injector pump. I am wanting to put the 85 pump on the 84 but i am wondering if there is a "timing" issue to be concerned with. If so, how do i make sure i get it right.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
113 Posts
i would leave the 84 pump in, start switching them is not going to be fun.
U need to tear out oil filter too or else the pump cant go backward.
I have changed pumps in ford 6.9 , 7.3 one need to balance on the rad resting your pot belly on it like an acrobat.
mercs can be more forgiving, but i would leave it there and drive it, probably emission will go thru, dont say anything anyways.

just leave the connector out, cap it so it would not be grounded.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

i would leave the 84 pump in, start switching them is not going to be fun.
U need to tear out oil filter too or else the pump cant go backward.
I have changed pumps in ford 6.9 , 7.3 one need to balance on the rad resting your pot belly on it like an acrobat.
mercs can be more forgiving, but i would leave it there and drive it, probably emission will go thru, dont say anything anyways.

just leave the connector out, cap it so it would not be grounded.
Thanks for the reply! What is the purpose of the connector anyway? I took the pump off of the 85 already as i am going to scrap the block and head as they are ruined. Not that big of a deal with the engine out, but i could see it being a problem with it in the frame. My main concern is i want the 85 to run out as good as it can.

brad

·
Registered
113 Posts
injectors pump can be very convoluted, the less u change the better off u are.
i cant tell u what does the wire for.
it doesnt need the power to run usually. Maybe some temp sensor to change the cold start.
do whatever u want is your car, just when we change the equation in the middle we can mess it up inadvertently.
as faster warm up is not going to make your car run less efficient anyways.
u could go to some MB mech and ask them what it does.
or run the 85 in the orig car, see what & when the power comes on or goes out.
It may give u some idea as what it does. Then u can replicate a 12v power there until the car is warm.

VW and Ford need 12v to run the solenoid, no power no running, Mercs uses vac to kill engine. It can run with no 12v at all, only need to start engine thats all.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts