Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
84 230CE & 84 300DT
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to nail down the source of a ticking sound that is coming form the engine. At first I thought that it might be that the valves needed adjustment, but after checking and double checking, all the clearances were within spec. The sound is related to the revs of the engine, slower engine speed slower ticking, faster engine speed faster and louder ticking except at higher cruising speeds were all you can hear is the engine. My thoughts at this point is that it could be a noisy injector but I tried to listen to the injectors with a stethoscope but there is so much noise it was not possible to hear anything unusual. Another thing I have read elsewhere is the subject of nailing but I'm not sure what that is exactly. I have been dealing with this noise since summer and it has not caused any adverse performance problems...yet.
I'm planning on getting some Diesel Purge this week and I'm hoping that it will cure it as I have heard it may.
Anyone have any other suggestions?

·
Registered
Mercedes Diesels
145 Posts
I had nailing on my 78 300D, my favorite 123 in the fleet. Tried to be clever and used dif...

I had nailing on my 78 300D, my favorite 123 in the fleet. Tried to be clever and used different solvents
to clean out the offending injector(s). I had given up and prepared to breakdown and just put a set of rebuilt injectors in.

But then I decided to diesel purge my 1990 300D 2.5
turbo project car with a Diesel Purge kit with two
cans from Mercedessource.com,(not sure of spelling).
It helped the 1990 300D 2.5 turbo. But when I put the
second can through the 1978 300D the nailing went away
like magic. It was worth the almost $30 including shipping. All of my cars will get this treatment at least once. It can make the old cloth return lines leak a little though.

I can see why people gladly pay a premium price for diesel purge.
John Gregg

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.