Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 450 SLC, 99 SL500
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just pulled the injectors from the passenger side and found three different colors:
Bluish, green

and a different shape black one?

I understood that, if the injector hoses have a metal crimp at the bottom, they are originals, right? This car has 200k miles on it. Is that possible? And what's with the black one?

·
Registered
73 450 SLC, 99 SL500
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And now, after attempting a test of the injectors, the formerly black one looks like this?

Here's the part #:

·
Registered
1974 450SL (US), 2005 SLK200 (UK)
1,246 Posts
The colored part at the bottom is the pintle cap. I think when discussing Djet injectors it is the color of the connector housing that differentiates them. I don't think the pintle cap color makes a difference.

You can buy a new set of pintle caps - IIRC they are very cheap.

If your hoses are crimped on and your injectors are not remanufactured then they are original. Carefully check the condition of the rubber hoses to make sure they are still good. A leak here would be bad.

Andy

·
Registered
73 450 SLC, 99 SL500
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My real question is, why did the "black" pintle in photo 2, in post #1, above, change to a protruding green tip in post #2, photo #1?

·
Registered
'72 450SL, 107.044-12-000422
442 Posts
My real question is, why did the "black" pintle in photo 2, in post #1, above, change to a protruding green tip in post #2, photo #1?
Was there build up that got cleaned off during removal/testing?
Color of the pintle cap doesn’t mean anything (I don’t think). The injector itself (where the electrical connector plugs in) is what differentiates the injectors. Blue is NA 4.5 djet, yellow is 3.5 Euro djet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
73 450 SLC, 99 SL500
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is it obvious that I've never before seen an actual fuel injector? :rolleyes: Apparently, the pintle that I thought was black was simply the black "seal" that had slipped down. I found it in one of the jars I used for collecting gas during my spray test.

Injectors 1-4 all sprayed equally when I cranked the engine. Fuel pressure right at 2 bar. And #4 just had a very slight drip after the test. When I return next week, I'll test 5-8.

I know I need new injector hoses, clamps, and seals, right? Anything else?

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
12,087 Posts
Dave - those 289-150-036 injectors are the correct ones for your car.

It does look to me like there was soot or crud on the "black" pintle cap. That might be from possible backfire at some time. The injector tips are in the intake manifold. A back-fire can get unburned or partly burned fuel into that space.

When you order hose and clamps, make sure to get the right ones.
The hose is 7.5mm IDx13.5mm OD . This one from AA
or this one from Pelican

For clamps, the Oetiker are popular but maybe hard to find? Something similar otherwise. I bought mine years ago from dealer, but others can likely advise sources.

After you have checked the other bank, good idea to do a leak down test. The shop manual describes how in section 07.4. This should check leak down of injectors as well as rest of the fuel supply/return system.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts