Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys.........:(

New to the forum been on here a few weeks or so and believe I have my first encounter with the black death. Think this is common on the Vito.:crybaby2:

Heard a "phuffing" sound and then slight loss of power. Got the inlet stuff off and out of the way and the injector cover and found injector was letting by.
Tried to remove the bolt(stretch bolt) and it snapped. FFFF-ing Great!!!!!!!!
Anyways I shall take my time and drill out the snapped section and heli-coil it.
As luck (??) would have it the injector came out easily just shaking it whilst spinning at same time using the fuel pipe as a gentle lever.
I read elsewhere that there is a copper seating washer somewhere.
Is this in the injector hole and would it be wise to replace it with new?
Can it be bought seperately from MB?
Is there any right or wrong way to remove the in-situ washer and do I have to remove the rocker cover which intails removal of the other injectors?

Any pointers would be gratefully appreciated.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If the washer is'nt on the end of the injector then its still in the head...get a piece of wire with a bend and fish it out..If youre lucky just the new washer will do the job ..Always replace the stretch bolts AND washers ..their only a few pence from MB...get some spares too..:thumbsup:

·
Registered
Vito 108cdi
305 Posts
The stretch bolt is quite long as it goes through the rocker cover and into the cylinder head, so go steady drilling it out :thumbsup:

Get the old washer from down the injector hole and replace it with a new one, as already said, there only pennies from a mercedes garage :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the washer is'nt on the end of the injector then its still in the head...get a piece of wire with a bend and fish it out..If youre lucky just the new washer will do the job ..Always replace the stretch bolts AND washers ..their only a few pence from MB...get some spares too..:thumbsup:
The stretch bolt is quite long as it goes through the rocker cover and into the cylinder head, so go steady drilling it out :thumbsup:

Get the old washer from down the injector hole and replace it with a new one, as already said, there only pennies from a mercedes garage :)

Thanks Chaps!

I'm trying to retrieve the old washer but to no avail so far.
Looking down the "hole" I can see something but it doesn't look like copper.
I'll keep at it.

I'll get the new bits tomorrow. I can check the length of bolt within the head using the broken part against new. I can set drill depth accordingly.
My intention is to drill/re-tap/heli-coil etc, etc.

I'll let you all know how it goes.

·
Registered
Vito 108cdi
305 Posts
To get the old washer out, I used a large phillips type screwdriver that would not quite fit through the hole in the new washer, put it down the hole and gave it a tap, the old washer then stuck on the end of it :thumbsup:

The main problem you'll have is drilling the bolt hole, as there is not enough room above it to get a drill in owing to the bulkhead / windscreen, you'll need a 90 degree angle type drill, but be ever so careful to drill down square through the old bolt, it's not easy!

Good luck

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The story so far......

Bought a right angle drill attachment from LIDL's for £4.99 ....... yes .... LIDLS.!

Centre popped the broken thread remains and drilled a 4.5 mm pilot hole.
This was ver slightly off centre. Drilled an 8mm hole which incidentally is the size of hole in the rocker cover. The rocker cover hole acted as a guide perfectly.
Tapped and threaded for new thread inserts which came from my local garage.
They had all the necessary bits.
I've gone over size on the new bolt as I don't want this happening again.
Hired re-seating tool from Hutson's (£20) hope it comes tomorrow.
Soon as that arrives I'll re-seat the injector, re-fit and see what happens.

Total cost so far......£24.99

I'm sure it's all going too smoothly so watch this space..!....

·
Registered
19 Posts
The story so far......

Bought a right angle drill attachment from LIDL's for £4.99 ....... yes .... LIDLS.!

Centre popped the broken thread remains and drilled a 4.5 mm pilot hole.
This was ver slightly off centre. Drilled an 8mm hole which incidentally is the size of hole in the rocker cover. The rocker cover hole acted as a guide perfectly.
Tapped and threaded for new thread inserts which came from my local garage.
They had all the necessary bits.
I've gone over size on the new bolt as I don't want this happening again.
Hired re-seating tool from Hutson's (£20) hope it comes tomorrow.
Soon as that arrives I'll re-seat the injector, re-fit and see what happens.

Total cost so far......£24.99

I'm sure it's all going too smoothly so watch this space..!....

Its not that hard really...the worst part can be trying to remove the injector from the coal-face....you were just unlucky with the sheared bolt.....At least you now know what's involved....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
this has just happened to me on my way home :(

do i def need a reseating tool? its just i need the van back on the road asap and cant really be waiting on xmas post to get the tool to me...

cheers all

joe
motorlands

·
Registered
Vito 108cdi
305 Posts
this has just happened to me on my way home :(

do i def need a reseating tool? its just i need the van back on the road asap and cant really be waiting on xmas post to get the tool to me...

cheers all

joe
motorlands
I didn't use a reseating tool when I did mine, I got a thin pointy ended wire brush from halfords, they sell them for decoking the cylinder head, put it on an extension, popped it down the hole and cleaned it up using that :thumbsup:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Excellent job, well done, I hope the rest goes as smooth and you have a nice leak free injector :thumbsup:
Thanks...!!...:thumbsup:

She's done now but I could smell diesel once I had stopped driving each day.
Odd, I thought so took her apart today and found the nipple attached to the injector, which the diesel feed pipe goes onto, was weeping badly.

Took it off, annealed the tiny washer, re-assembled with gasket sealant on the nipple thread. Tightened it all and put back together. Fingers crossed.

No blow by on the injector........... At the moment..!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts