Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1984 380 SL
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ya know, I love this place. There is so much good information here that I spend a solid 3 hours every morning just looking. This is EXTREMELY unproductive, it means I don't get to doing any work on my car until 11a.m. or later and by then it is agonizingly hot. And this note is like my research, digressing before I even start.
I pulled the dash because I wanted to repair it. That's it. Instead I have gotten involved in things I never knew existed. Vacuum pods. I never did get to remove the heater box, I seriously tried. Upside down, contorting, bleeding and cursing but I just couldn't get some of the clips to come off and I finally decided I didn't know enough about any of it to continue anyway. So I bought some replacement pods and set about repairing the big hole in the box. As I was about to rivet the pod to the flapper the damned flapper piece broke. Since there is another connector on the other end, I think perhaps I can just turn the flapper around and rivet the pod on there. However, the flapper design is not typical all the way around so I don't know if it will actually work correctly. Any reason why it shouldn't? I would like to just purchase a replacement, but not knowing the correct names of these parts (and them not having a part number) makes the process a bitch. I am currently going through the encyclopedia section "component location and acronyms" (or some such) but seriously this could take days, when there is a possibility that someone out there actually knows what this part is and if/where I can get a replacement. I'm not really lazy, I just would love to actually drive this car someday soon. mb107.com has some nice exploded views but I can't really tell if the piece I'm talking about is the piece they're showing. After all that: can someone name that part?

Attachments

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,563 Posts
Perhaps the EPC is not the direction you want to head with all of this, but that's where I find part numbers. Then I take them to a Mercedes Dealer website, like say mercedespartscenter.com and see what the dealer charges. Beware of some parts being listed on the dealer (or other) sites but not really being available.

There are many parts cars around. Once you find a local parts car, you will likely worry a bit less about finding parts for your car.

·
Registered
'71 250, '78 450SLC 5.0, '78 450SL, '81 380SLC 5.6, '89 260E, '15 Kia Sorento
5,269 Posts
I know exactly how you feel. Most of the time I am completely lost.

·
Premium Member
1975 450SL
2,440 Posts
My method for doing this sort of stuff is to do the actual work early in the morning, and do my research inside when it gets hot.

Scott

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,563 Posts
I am a night owl and like to work on the car around 2 AM and get help from the Aussies posting on my way to sleep. I wake up the next day and my threads are loaded with help from around the world. Since I'm not a morning guy, I would read and research through the afternoon, family time in the evening, and then back to the garage after the family is asleep. How much sleep do you need? is the question. Reading posts on the phone as I wake up helps me wake up. Read some posts with coffee, etc.

·
Registered
1984 380 SL
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think it is PN 107 830 05 25.
Thanks for that, Rowdie... so far a lot of "not currently in stock" I'm going to have rig a repair. I just bought a rivet gun (is it a gun??) so I have another excuse to use it. I rather like it and will probably just start randomly riveting things together because I like how it works. Between that and "research" it keeps me from actually doing anything on the car. Lord knows everytime I do that I seem to be taking another piece off instead of putting stuff back on...

·
Outstanding Contributor
22,563 Posts
...Between that and "research" it keeps me from actually doing anything on the car. Lord knows everytime I do that I seem to be taking another piece off instead of putting stuff back on...
I know what you mean. My only "major" project started out as checking the timing chain stretch and replacing injector seals, but it turned into removing the intake manifold when I busted an injector bolt. Then some forum members were saying that I should rebuilt the heads while I'm in there... uhh...

At some point, at least if your car is not going to be a show car, I think most people get to the point of "Why the hell did I take this thing all apart? I have no idea what I'm doing, and I'm wasting crap-loads of my life on this... and this damn immobilized car is stuck here until I put this thing back together." At least I got to that point with my project. I knew that if i ever needed to get under the valve covers for the valve adjustment or other jobs that it would be quicker the second time around.

The dash is not for the feint of heart. So I congratulate you for digging in there.

Are the parts you might need acceptable to use second hand? If so, there seem to be plenty of folks parting out these cars.

·
Registered
1984 380 SL
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Where have you looked?
parts.com
mercedespartsonline.com
budsbenz.com
autohausaz
adsit
plus whatever random places Google/Blackle comes up with using "mercedes parts"
There are several sites with names very close to mercedespartsonline...been to most of them.
I spent the greater part of the day upside down on the passenger side floor trying to get the two damned pods that I didn't need to take off in the first place back on (interrupted only by the necessity of cooling off in the pool both bodily and mentally) So I'm beat. beat. beat.

·
Registered
1978 450SL--117K
1,374 Posts
yeibiche, buddy, slow down. As I am the one who hijacked your thread, I will help you get through this. Every part you need is available online.

First we need to get that heater box out. Are you with me? Now I know everyone says to remove the bottom first--but I couldn't. What I could easily do is remove the top front half first, then the bottom, then the back. You do not really need to remove the back--unless you want to take the heater core and condenser in to a radiator shop and have them checked for piece of mind. I did and was told two things--the real OEM ones are near bullet proof and they don't make them anymore and the ones out there are not as good as the originals.

Now, to remove the top front of the heater box, you need to remove all of the clips that hold it to the back half and bottom. you then need to remove the wire ties from the harness--they are reusable and cool, i think, so don't cut them. They release by pushing down on the little lever and then you probably need to have a screw driver in the loop to pull it loose. move the wiring harness slightly out of the way. the front half of the heater box will then move slightly up and out to the left.

Post back here when you have done that or need help in getting it out. You can PM me and I will call you and walk you through it. You really do want to do this right and thoroughly.

·
Registered
1984 380 SL
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you, kind sir. I am currently more than 1000 miles from my mb project, but I will surely take you up on that offer when I return.

·
Premium Member
1983 380SL, 2000 S430, 1991 420SEL (retired) - RHD
5,525 Posts
I agree with Robert, you've done all the really hard work. It would be so much easier with the box out. BTW you do know those 4 large clips ( 2 front- 2 behind) holding the upper box to the lower box slide out to the sides of the box? Maybe yours is different.
I had to carefully encourage them on mine with a small hammer and a piece of wood about 12" long. The hardest part now is pushing the wiring out of the way.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts