Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Deciding on the next restomod project.
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a FAQ, web page, PDF scans of old brochures, etc. that outlines the various interior improvements and additions over the production run of the W126?

A general question: were the interiors of the 6 cylinder cars typically as well equipped as the 8 cylinder cars?

Are there any package assumptions like say, leather interior means the interior was fully kitted out?

I'm casually researching getting a black on black SWB W126 sedan/saloon, probably a second generation. I'm more interested in getting one that has all interior options more so than the specific engine used (diesel, 6 or 8 gas is not a priority).

Thanks.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,137 Posts
It depends, where are you at in the world? In the US market the options were set to a specific list that MB decided were suitable. That meant that the bigger the engine, the more options, it seems. 560's had the most gadgets, reclining rear seats etc.

In general 1988/9 and after interiors were the most comfy due to updated seat design.

Generally the V8's have more stuff. Here in the UK the standard options were better as the engine size grew, but you could still order as little or as much as you wanted on any car, so a 300 could have all the luxuries if you wanted.

·
Registered
W126 500 SEL 9/85 W124 E320T Brabus
2,075 Posts
There have never been packages in the days of the W126. There was a basic car and you could order what was in their pricelist. The top end V8 had a better basic equippment than all smaller engines. But still most of the extras had to be ordered. So every Mercedes is kinda unique and therefore there is no way to standardise the search for a car

·
Registered
W126 500 SEL 9/85 W124 E320T Brabus
2,075 Posts
As a fact - the rear electric seats were basic on 500 SEL Gen I and 560 Gen II, but could be ordered in every SEL.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the information.

Unfortunately I am Canada and am stuck in the %$*# U.S. dominated North American market where it seems finding a V8 SE for the high specification is a very rare thing (grey market only?). I can find SELs all day long of course but I don't want an SEL - I want an SE.

That ebay 420 lists the interior options nicely.

Let me take another tact with this...

What I'd like (some of it obvious):

AC
central locking
power windows
memory seats
leather

Not adverse to stuff beyond this of course. :)

Shouldn't be a terribly hard combination to find?

Was there a "sport seat" option? Not likely but I don't know otherwise.

Was the SD (not SDL) more likely to be full kitted out? They are around... but always seem to be a medium/pea green colour (bleh).

How difficult/expensive would it be to retrofit memory seats?

Does this vintage of Mercedes have a body control module (BCM) or is it a purely electro/mechanical car?

In an ideal world I'd find a 560 SE in black on black and be happy. Not likely to happen though it seems.

·
Registered
Looking for a W126...
16 Posts
I've seen quite a lot of 300 SE here in the UK with power front seats, leather, AC, electric windows, electric sunroof, heated front seats - mostly costing between 500 to 1,000 Pounds (800 to 1,600 USD)

AC almost always doesn't work though unless a previous owner took the effort of converting over to R134a, because R12 usage in cars has been made illegal in the UK

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, same deal here RE: R134.

There are 300SE's around here as well.

Later cars are typically better equipped?

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Thanks for the information.

Unfortunately I am Canada and am stuck in the %$*# U.S. dominated North American market where it seems finding a V8 SE for the high specification is a very rare thing (grey market only?).

-------------------
Yes, if you want a V8 in a SE you have to go grey market. MBUSA were and are a bunch of jerks that have positioned Mercedes as a snobs (nose in the air) car. In Germany you can order a Mercedes any way you want. In the us buyers of a 560SEL basically only got to pick the color. (4 place seating was one of only a couple of options)

·
Registered
Looking for a W126...
16 Posts
Haha... well I wouldn't lambast MBUSA too much - at least you have those high mileage award grill badges which we don't get here in the UK!

On W124's, the UK market also didn't get the 400 & 500 V8's or 300 turbodiesel (except in LHD or imports) because they couldn't be bothered to move the steering box over to make them fit. :surrender:

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,137 Posts
560SE was an extremely limited run, very rare car indeed so sadly the chances of that are non existant really.
Most things can be retrofitted, memory seats wouldnt be too hard. But the options you list, most would be coming with those anyway i would think. Rare to find one over there without aircon and power seats. You'll just have to keep hunting i'm afraid.
A 300SE may or may not come with luxuries if it were grey market, but they all have central locking and most would have power seats/windows/sunroof. I suspect SD's would be lesser equipped in general but i could be wrong about that. No SD's in the UK.
No sports seats i'm afraid, apart from the Recaros that you will see in members threads, hard to find but they look nice.
Later often means better equipped but not necessarily! Have to check each car really.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Was there a change to the interior for 90-91? Different seats? What about the dash?

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Anyone know?
--------------
My 1980 500SEL has NO engine management computers of any kind, no cats, no O2 sensor, no EGR, no feedback to the fuel distributor of any kind. Fuel delivery is totally mechanical. So is Idle control. No body boxes either -those are in much later series.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts