Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
You can change your own brakes on the SL. They’re all disks, just disconnect the ABS unit in the front left of the engine compartment, slide the connector clip up then pull the harness to the left. Your brakes will not explode when you disconnect them. Disk cost about $125 each from Auto Parts Warehouse | Car Parts, Truck Parts & Auto Body Parts Online - Free Shipping on most Auto Accessories & Performance Parts - AutoPartsWarehouse. and you can get EBS Red for about $100 a set. $700 total in parts. Dealer cost about $4000 on the low side. Don't forget to use brake paste for squeaking.

Check Engine light. If the check engine light comes on you don't need to go to the dealer and get the code read, you can go to Autozone and use there reader for free, or you can buy one, I used theirs then bought a Actron ODB II Part # cp9175. Worked great. About $100 from thetoolwarehouse.net. Just for the dealer to check the code was over $150.

P0101. That the code for MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor. The car would fall on it’s face when you hit the gas. Just replace it, cleaning it doesn't work. $168 from Auto Parts at AutohausAZ - OEM Auto Parts - Discount Replacement Parts, Resources and Car Care Tips. I was quoted over $1000 for the dealership to replace it. It took me less then 5 minutes. Pull the from air box cover up then towards you. Pull off the 2 plastic air tubes. Lift the whole air box up and off. The MAF is the plastic housing that the air gets forced in from the air box. Disconnect the wiring harness, unclip the plastic holder and pry the holding clip back with a flat screwdriver. Install in reverse. Man! The car came alive. It must of been failing for a while.

OS sensors. I was speechless when the dealer told me the price. $1488 for all 4. I ask installed? He laughed. I didn’t even ask the installation price. I got the two front from Auto Parts at AutohausAZ - OEM Auto Parts - Discount Replacement Parts, Resources and Car Care Tips for $81 each. The rear were $177 each. I didn’t replace them since they were for diagnosis. My gas mileage went up about 3 miles a gallon average. You have to remove the bottom covers, then it just a bent 22mm wrench and a connector.

Hope this info helps at least one person. I searched all over the net for help with these problems and did get much help.

·
Registered
144 Posts
That's some good information. Thanks!

One thing I have to disagree about. The cost of a brake job. I just had a conversation with my service advisor at my local MB yesterday about how much a brake job would be for my 06. The cost of a brake job (parts and labor) if it's just pads is around $250, rotors and pads $750. They are actually pretty cheap to have done relative to a lot of cars in the same class.

BTW, funny story. My SA showed me an invoice for an SLR they had just done. $75,000.00 before labor to replace the pads and rotors. That is not a misprint, seventy five thousand dollars. He said it was all he could do to keep a straight face when he told the owner.

Just felt like sharing.

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RIP
6,543 Posts
You can change your own brakes on the SL. They’re all disks, just disconnect the ABS unit in the front left of the engine compartment, slide the connector clip up then pull the harness to the left. Your brakes will not explode when you disconnect them. Disk cost about $125 each from Auto Parts Warehouse | Car Parts, Truck Parts & Auto Body Parts Online - Free Shipping on most Auto Accessories & Performance Parts - AutoPartsWarehouse. and you can get EBS Red for about $100 a set. $700 total in parts. Dealer cost about $4000 on the low side. Don't forget to use brake paste for squeaking.

Check Engine light. If the check engine light comes on you don't need to go to the dealer and get the code read, you can go to Autozone and use there reader for free, or you can buy one, I used theirs then bought a Actron ODB II Part # cp9175. Worked great. About $100 from thetoolwarehouse.net. Just for the dealer to check the code was over $150.

P0101. That the code for MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor. The car would fall on it’s face when you hit the gas. Just replace it, cleaning it doesn't work. $168 from Auto Parts at AutohausAZ - OEM Auto Parts - Discount Replacement Parts, Resources and Car Care Tips. I was quoted over $1000 for the dealership to replace it. It took me less then 5 minutes. Pull the from air box cover up then towards you. Pull off the 2 plastic air tubes. Lift the whole air box up and off. The MAF is the plastic housing that the air gets forced in from the air box. Disconnect the wiring harness, unclip the plastic holder and pry the holding clip back with a flat screwdriver. Install in reverse. Man! The car came alive. It must of been failing for a while.

OS sensors. I was speechless when the dealer told me the price. $1488 for all 4. I ask installed? He laughed. I didn’t even ask the installation price. I got the two front from Auto Parts at AutohausAZ - OEM Auto Parts - Discount Replacement Parts, Resources and Car Care Tips for $81 each. The rear were $177 each. I didn’t replace them since they were for diagnosis. My gas mileage went up about 3 miles a gallon average. You have to remove the bottom covers, then it just a bent 22mm wrench and a connector.

Hope this info helps at least one person. I searched all over the net for help with these problems and did get much help.

You can also change the brake pads by disconnecting the battery and pumping the pedal a few times.

If you unplug the SBC plug from the pump you can start the car up if you wish, the dash will go red, when the plug is back in it will leave no fault code to be erased.

With the MAF If the power from engine is down, just unplug the MAF,,if engine comes back to full power then it is the MAF.

Cheapest place should be Bosch, as they made it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow! $750 for a brake job. That's defiantly not in California. Was that all 4 with rotors and pads? They flush the brake fluid also.

·
Registered
96 Posts

I have a 2005 SL500. I want to replace the MAF. I see a plastic holder at the top. How do you unclip the plastic holder at the top(straight screwdriver?)? Can it break?
I also see a metal clip at the bottom. How do you unclip it(straight screwdriver? what motion? break?)?
Do you replace the MAF with the housing or just the sensor?
I am trying to collect as many details as possible, in order to avoid any mishaps and/or unnecessary work and expenses.
You also mentioned OS sensors. What is their function? How many? Where are they located?
I am also looking to buy an Actron CP9580 for diagnostics. What do you think?
Thank you, Joe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts