Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market to buy an Mercedes SL 280-450 from 72-79. To tell you the truth i know zilch abouth roadsters. The problem is i can't seem to find any info, ......like which model has an injection, Does a hard top mean it's also convertible? .......I read the Road And Track - March 1994 article ok it gave me an idea but i'm still lost.... Is there any newbes or idiot's catalgoue or guide for the Benz SL's. What to look for and all that.

Thanking You In Advance

Jack Anserian
[email protected]

·
Registered
1988 Mercedes 560SL
26 Posts
Another Source to Look At

Jack,

You may want to go to your local bookstore and see if they carry, "Mercedes-Benz, Production Models Book", by W. Robert Nitske. It is a fairly complete book that describes virtually every Mercedes Benz made, including the European versions. I thumbed through my copy and believe it can answer many of your questions about the SL roadster. In regards to your question when it is a convertible, the SL is in this form when the hardtop which came standard with the car is removed. The SL is called a coupe when the hardtop is installed on the car. Hope this information helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
please see the ..........

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1850602136
I'm trying to sell it ... I have hard top good condition, but the soft top need a new one

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks For the info

Dear Sir

First of all thanks for the info ordered the book will get it in a couple of days. Cause really here in this country it's really hard to find written info on cars. ( I live at the moment in Beirut, Lebanon) , and the onle info is the word of your mechanic . And the only SL or let me say SLC that i can find are really junk. Really want to know what i'm buying, and know if it can be restored to its original state.

By the way can in case i can find a good SL can i ship it to the US??? Does it have to pass a certain criteria or requirement ??? apart from the bumbers, headlights and the catalytic converter ?

Thanking You In Advance

Jack

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks For the info

Dear Sir

First of all thanks for the info ordered the book will get it in a couple of days. Cause really here in this country it's really hard to find written info on cars. ( I live at the moment in Beirut, Lebanon) , and the onle info is the word of your mechanic . And the only SL or let me say SLC that i can find are really junk. Really want to know what i'm buying, and know if it can be restored to its original state.

By the way can in case i can find a good SL can i ship it to the US??? Does it have to pass a certain criteria or requirement ??? apart from the bumbers, headlights and the catalytic converter ?

Thanking You In Advance

Jack

·
Registered
1988 Mercedes 560SL
26 Posts
Shipping into the US

Jack,

I don't believe you should have a problem shipping an SL into the U.S. provided that you have the car converted to the proper requirements for smog emissions, etc. There have been many "gray market" cars shipped and sold here in the U.S., in particular the 1980's 500SLs which forced the creation of the 1986-1989 560SL for the U.S. market. Hope the book helps you as it did me.

Ben

1 - 10 of 10 Posts