Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was lurking in old Post here in the forum and i saw a green police doka unimog featuring a winshield lifted

im interested in get more information about that option
here down the south us border we have very warm climate (got over 100's) and the unimog its a Oven , we have been running the unimog winshield-less for the las 2 years , but

i will be interested in fit / replicate /install this feature in the 413/416 hard cab we have

here a picture of what I am talking about

·
Registered
2015 Rubicon Unlimited (Let the shame be upon me!)
3,729 Posts
Well from the look of it, that system is a riot shield, just a hoop with mesh and some positive locks at the bottom. Support looks like typical gas struts.

I would not want to try the same trick with an actual pane of glass because the frame you would need to make to hold it stiff enough to not crack would be substantial.

A better option would be the Schmidt parasol sun/glare screens would be a better option, search around in truktors posts as he had some up about 6 months ago.

·
Registered
85' U1300L Holset Turbo VA A/C, 66' Propane 404.1 rock mog, 1975 416 Doka, G500, Volvo C303
4,979 Posts
Hmm, tyson phiefenburger?sp? made these for the 404, but I have never seen one like that on a 406 etc.

·
Registered
1973 416 Doka, 1978 416 Doka, 1980 416 Doka..... Help me, I can't stop buying them!!!
2,608 Posts
I think that is just a screen to protect the windshield and that the glass is staying in place. I think I see a glare on the windshield of the raised screen. But it would be cool to be able to lift the windshield, or just get the bottom to pop out a few inches to let some air in. getting it to seal would be the big problem I bet.

·
Registered
'78 Mog 416.141 DoKa
3,399 Posts
I agree with Von.

If you download the pic and magnify it, you will see it's a wire screen. The side windows have them, too. I guess it keeps the rioters from coming through when you hit them.

Without a beefy enclosure or surround, I'm not sure how well the formed windsheild would take the stress.

·
Registered
1978 416.115
1,035 Posts
I don't think you'd ever be able to construct something like that for a windshield. You might be able to find a cabrio body, but then you'd have to worry about the sun frying you to a crisp.

My mog is an oven during the summer, but it's not really the heat from the outside, it's heat coming from the engine. I've heard that raising the body 2" will help with airflow between the engine and the cab, but no idea if it actually helps or not.

·
Registered
2015 Rubicon Unlimited (Let the shame be upon me!)
3,729 Posts
All glory to truktor!

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/unimog/1537919-ever-see-one-these.html#post4293558

He's got pictures of the pictures of pictures.

But yeah, this would probably do wonders, lord knows I could have used one the other day trying to plow with direct low angle sun for the first time in days. It's funny how you never notice how dim it can be in the winter until the sun comes out and vice versa in the summer.

·
Registered
1978 416.115
1,035 Posts
But yeah, this would probably do wonders, lord knows I could have used one the other day trying to plow with direct low angle sun for the first time in days. It's funny how you never notice how dim it can be in the winter until the sun comes out and vice versa in the summer.
Those are for a SBU and not a 4XX. I'm guessing you could try to fit them on a 4XX, or try to fabricate your own.

·
Registered
Unimogs
861 Posts
I think it is a lot more doable on a square windshield truck.

Sitting on my fab table we have a 404 Safari Windshield under construction. Used 2 frames, raised it a bit. We used Frank Jones original 1955 404 safari windshield as inspiration. It's really not that difficult of a project. Biggest negative will be re-mounting the wiper motors to the top of the windshield. I'll try and snap some pics.

Cheers,

Scott

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
ok then its a shield

i have seen some 404's that open a lill bit in botom to let some air enter in to the cab

most of the heat come as you stated from the engine/muffler at the dog house

even with double insulation layers i notice a big diference having the winshield installed and without it

so we opted to use the mog with out winshield in the summer

but the problem come now in winter when we are at 30's and drive the unimog at 70 km/h becomes funny and a lill bit chilly :D

so i will fabricate something in acrylic /lexan or glass but removable

·
Registered
1978 416.115
1,035 Posts
I was thinking about putting a ram air intake on the front of the vehicle and somehow routing a tube to the inside of the truck. So as you're driving down the road at 40-50mph you'll be pushing air into the truck. I'm sure it would be A LOT of air too, depending on how big of a funnel you make. Obviously also a way to close it during the winter.

I've seen them on panel trucks, where there's a vent that flips open on the side of the truck, so it's like an air scoop. Kinda like the vent on the roof of my 416, but reversed.

My dad had an old chevy blazer that had something similar. There was knob you pulled down by the floor that opened a vent.

·
Registered
'62 404 Bundeswehr Radio Truck, '61 Bundeswehr 404 Doka
438 Posts
I've thought about just using a portable evaporative cooler in my 404 here in Phoenix, AZ. In the summer months, it would make the cab tolerable.

As it is, I usually only drive it at night during the summer.. 115+F ambient temps are just too hot in a 404. :surrender:

My next 404 will be made into a home-built enclosed DOKA cab with provisions for a swamp cooler or A/C unit between the two back seats.

·
Registered
1978 416.115
1,035 Posts
I've thought about just using a portable evaporative cooler in my 404 here in Phoenix, AZ. In the summer months, it would make the cab tolerable.
ram air intake + wick from evap cooler + water + water recycle pump = polish AC

Would work REALLY good doing 40-50. Not so much at a stop light.

btw, I'm 1/2 polish :)

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
9,589 Posts
Safari Windshield on 404's, and a roof Vent on Chris' Dakar truck that might work on a 406 roof.

Back to re-hab.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1965 404, 1980 MB4/94, 1981 416 Doka, 1983 240D, 1999 E55, 2000 ML55
604 Posts
The 404 windshields that open on the bottom with the wipers on the top are from the French Unimogs right?

·
Registered
Unimog U1300L Year unknown, but it has a Bundesheer rebuild plate dated 96
554 Posts
So many older trucks and even some of the later build military trucks have 2 individual opening windscreens, many of which open right up from the bottom. I,m sure a detachable frame that would fit your opening could be built to house a couple of these old truck windows...or even a complete 404 windscreen of the opening variety......it would not be pretty but would serve your purpose. Another idea might be a frame to house something along the lines of a LandRover side window which slides (especially the 'Rocky Mountain' version which slides from both sides....now that could be easily made up in acrylic you could have one side or the other fully open or both half way or fully closed, again it might be ugly but if I had your particular problem that,s the cheap solution I would go for.

·
Registered
Non MB 1975 Volvo C304, 1958 Kramer U540, 1959 unimog Westfalia 411
1,381 Posts
Roof mounted AC on craigslist ak for $25. I looked at the hinged frame on my '41 GMC 1 1/4 ton but in those days the cabs were very small and narrower than my 406. Wow I am glad I don't have to deal with triple digit heat. I like mucho frio??

·
BenzWorld UNIMOG statesman
Unimog 404.1 Diesel (sold :( )1995 LMTV 1078
5,856 Posts
IMHO it will be less work to leave windshield alone and add a "personal" AC system instead of a "cab" AC system.

Cab AC is Typical set up... cool air blown into AC.

In a personal system in this case you would install an aftermarket or junkyard AC from a small car BUT... you do not blow air into the cab.. you plumb it directly to the person who either wears a poncho that the cool air is blown into or a jumpsuit that the air is blown into. This is similar in design to what is used in the military tanks. They have a vest the air is plumbed into. The vest contains even more plumbing to distribute air all around the wearer.

There are other cool suit devices.. There is a thread in here on AC that some info is in about them. Maybe search for "cool suit" to find it. General Internet Search for Cool suit would come up with more things for you to ponder in this area.

A roof vent would help with either of these ideas too.

·
Registered
1978 416.115
1,035 Posts
Any decent cool suit I've seen will run you about $1000. It's a helmet and a vest that are attached to a small cooler full of ice.

·
BenzWorld UNIMOG statesman
Unimog 404.1 Diesel (sold :( )1995 LMTV 1078
5,856 Posts
Any decent cool suit I've seen will run you about $1000. It's a helmet and a vest that are attached to a small cooler full of ice.
have not searched prices in long time butttt..... maybe $50 to build yourself one.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts