Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Mercedes E430 Black
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my wife a 2000 E430 new. She has now tired of it and I have inherited it. I love the car, but there are things I was willing to put up with when she was driving the car that I am no longer willing to put up with. Go figure. I know the defective bulb warning is a chronic problem and has been covered in many posts, however, I never got the feeling any one has come up with the definitive fix, that doesn't involve re-soldering all the tail light connections. Any help here would be appreciated. I love LED taillights and was wondering if there is a plug and play set out there that would be easy to install and solve the bulb warning light. I am also looking for a source for the Burlwood inside door handles. The leather on the drivers pull just won't stay clean. That's again for any help you can give.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
I bought my wife a 2000 E430 new. She has now tired of it and I have inherited it. I love the car, but there are things I was willing to put up with when she was driving the car that I am no longer willing to put up with. Go figure. I know the defective bulb warning is a chronic problem and has been covered in many posts, however, I never got the feeling any one has come up with the definitive fix, that doesn't involve re-soldering all the tail light connections. Any help here would be appreciated. I love LED taillights and was wondering if there is a plug and play set out there that would be easy to install and solve the bulb warning light. I am also looking for a source for the Burlwood inside door handles. The leather on the drivers pull just won't stay clean. That's again for any help you can give.
Hey, PB, welcome to the forum. Please take a minute to complete your online profile re: vehicle and location as that can be useful information.

More than 90% of the time the defective bulb warning is just that, a defective bulb. There is a basic process to follow to trace it down in the DIY, but beyond that a common one that is overlooked is that there is more than one bulb for the license plate light. You check, it's on, so you think it's fine, but in fact one is burned out and the system is so carefully balanced it knows it.

There are some LED solutions but they all look pretty "ricerish" and if you don't have the proper resistance...guess what malfunction you get? If you have confirmed the functionality of every single bulb then look at the sockets for the rear taillight assemblies, often you don't need to solder, just twist it and it cleans the connection enough to work, then you know which one to clean further. There is a DIY on that as well.

It's easy to get frustrated and just say the heck with it and buy new taillights, but you have to admit it would suck if you did that and you still had the warning. :(

I can't help you with the handles. Matt L has noted he re-covered his. You might look at or contact formymercedesdotcom (replace the 'dot' with the conventional period, this site blocks that one).

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320(217K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(183K Miles)
3,467 Posts
You can also try performanceproducts4benz.com for the handles.

·
Registered
1996 210.020
3,972 Posts
Actually, I had not yet recovered the pulls, but I was considering doing it. The problem is that it would take me a few hours to make the pattern and sew the leather. Now, at $75 a piece, I can justify spending some time on the problem. Once I get a pattern, making more than one pull cover will be easy.

I did cover the console lid with black leather. The vinyl had deteriorated to a bad state. I should take some pictures of it now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts