Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
That's true. This is one reason why I tend to avoid eBay. If I want the OEM (e. g. Bosch, Lemfoerder, and so on), I'll go to FCPEuro.com or Rock Auto.

In many cases, what Dave says is true; the Genuine-MB (or Genuine-BMW/Audi/Honda/Toyota/Whatever) part isn't that much more expensive. After 175,000 miles of faithful service, my S600's radiator developed a crack in its inlet. This is what hooks up to the hose coming straight from the motor. I compared the Behr radiator from FCPEuro to the Genuine-MB radiator from MBOemParts.com. Turns out the Genuine-MB radiator is less money, *and* the dealer gives free shipping with the BenzWorld coupon code. I also am getting all-new hoses everywhere else, including to the heater core, just in case.

Same was true for the '03 S430's front hubs. I did 'em both. Turns out MBOemParts.com was less money than everyone else.

For other things, though, such as front suspension parts (control arms, ball joints, tie rods, all that), I'll go for Lemfoerder or TRW every time, usually from FCPEuro or someone similar. AIRmatic springs, same thing; I'll go for the OEM Bilstein ones as a first choice from, say, Rock Auto.

·
Banned
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
In many cases, what Dave says is true; the Genuine-MB (or Genuine-BMW/Audi/Honda/Toyota/Whatever) part isn't that much more expensive. After 175,000 miles of faithful service, my S600's radiator developed a crack in its inlet. This is what hooks up to the hose coming straight from the motor. I compared the Behr radiator from FCPEuro to the Genuine-MB radiator from MBOemParts.com. Turns out the Genuine-MB radiator is less money, *and* the dealer gives free shipping with the BenzWorld coupon code. I also am getting all-new hoses everywhere else, including to the heater core, just in case.
I don’t know where you’re buying, but this is not my experience at all... like no.
It should be noted, Genuine Mercedes is different from “OEM” or “OES”.

Lemfoerder (OEM) engine mount:
$72 from ECStuning
Genuine Mercedes engine mount:
$183

Corteco (OEM) Harmonic Damper:
$82
Genuine Mercedes Harmonic Damper:
$326

Lemfoerder (OEM) Thrust Arm:
$112
Genuine Mercedes:
$240

Bosch Oxygen Sensor (OEM):
$170
Genunine Mercedes:
$344

Back to the vibration, I’ve done the Harmonic Balancer (I didn’t replace the bolt, hopefully it doesn’t assplode), and am finishing up the engine mounts. Hopefully this will squeeze out any vibration.

·
Banned
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Sit. Rep.

Harmonic Balancer - Replaced. Engine Mounts - Replaced. Transmission Mount - reseated. Wheels - Balanced.

Still have a vibration/wobble while driving. It seems to propagate through the car as I go over speed bumps or similar.

Something else I noticed is a slight vibration/wobble while braking that mimics the vibration I felt.
I see three options: 1. the transmission mount is bad (didn’t fail visual inspection) 2. Adjustable front wheel bearings need tightening 3. Differential Mount Bushings are bad and causing vibrations from the driveshaft to enter into the cabin.

There is very little information on the differential mount bushings. I will investigate in due time.

·
Banned
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #47 (Edited)
Here's another thread describing the same thing.

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220-s-class/1472038-cannot-get-rid-vibration-please-help.html

Hub discs are a recommendation, but I think that's for aftermarket wheels. Another suggestion is electric tape around the hub. I might give that a try, although it sounds like it will be a total mess to clean when the wheels need to come off.

[EDIT]

Just had new front tires put on at DT. Full balance. Hub discs won’t fit, I have OEM wheels.
Tightening the front wheel bearings seems to have made a slight but significant improvement.

Things are starting to point towards suspension components, and that is a can of worms I’m hesitant to go down. I think the vibration appears with transmission shifts, and I will replace my transmission mount, and while the car is up, have someone look at the driveshaft with the car running.

Some people have some luck with ECU resets, this costs nothing and might do the trick. Will keep everyone updated.

·
W220 Moderator
5,650 Posts
Hi,

Just an observation from your above post, have you had the heat shields off and checked the rubber on the Prop Centre Bearing ?

These often fail on MB Cars in general, I've done my S Class, C Class and SLK over the last 2 years, also known them to have a tight UJ by the Centre Bearing but I can't remember now if the W220 prop actually has a UJ, SLK does and it was tight, so I replaced it !!

HTH

·
Banned
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Hi,

Just an observation from your above post, have you had the heat shields off and checked the rubber on the Prop Centre Bearing ?

These often fail on MB Cars in general, I've done my S Class, C Class and SLK over the last 2 years, also known them to have a tight UJ by the Centre Bearing but I can't remember now if the W220 prop actually has a UJ, SLK does and it was tight, so I replaced it !!

HTH
It checked out good.

·
W220 Moderator
5,650 Posts
/\ /\ /\

That statement is just plain tosh :frown

When it came from the Factory the W220 was one of the most advanced cars of it's time, and still holds a bunch of candles to many modern Cars.

Myself and many owners on this forum do not have a problem keeping their Cars in perfect order and diagnosing faults in a timely manner without just chucking parts at them :wink

I do know frustration can set in, and I do feel for you, especially as you have put a lot of time and parts into your car

I cannot offer you much more advice than I already have without physically driving your Car and / or Inspecting it.

One thing to remember, Vibrations / Harmonics are always difficult to diagnose even on more humble Cars, the quieter and more refined the car the harder it gets :wink

Final suggestion for now, (without reading the whole saga back over), did you change the Tranny Mount, they can look perfect but cause a helluva Vibe, as can a couple of failed Exhaust Hangers especially if it has dropped and sat on the little Cross Member piece at the back end of Prop Tunnel :wink

HTH,

·
Banned
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
/\ /\ /\

That statement is just plain tosh :frown

When it came from the Factory the W220 was one of the most advanced cars of it's time, and still holds a bunch of candles to many modern Cars.

Myself and many owners on this forum do not have a problem keeping their Cars in perfect order and diagnosing faults in a timely manner without just chucking parts at them :wink

I do know frustration can set in, and I do feel for you, especially as you have put a lot of time and parts into your car

I cannot offer you much more advice than I already have without physically driving your Car and / or Inspecting it.

One thing to remember, Vibrations / Harmonics are always difficult to diagnose even on more humble Cars, the quieter and more refined the car the harder it gets :wink

Final suggestion for now, (without reading the whole saga back over), did you change the Tranny Mount, they can look perfect but cause a helluva Vibe, as can a couple of failed Exhaust Hangers especially if it has dropped and sat on the little Cross Member piece at the back end of Prop Tunnel :wink

HTH,
I don’t mean to upset anyone with that statement, but Mercedes themselves admitted (as far as they could) that under Jürgen Schrempp the engineering took a total nosedive, and quality suffered as a result. Mercedes spent a full $1 Billion in 1990’s money designing/building the W140. Not so with the W220. Extremely Basic things constantly break. This car needed way more testing from the factory.

Just two examples of shit enginering:

The “Sealed for Life” transmission; a transmission that never needed any fluid work. What a concept. Turns out mercedes was so wrong, they needed to develop a custom engine flush technique so they could update the fluid type, and also needed to issue a redesigned transmission pan to change the amount of fluid (since they got that wrong too, but also didn’t include a dipstick)

The ABC system, while admittedly amazing, mercedes again claimed is “zero maintenance”... more than the shelf life of unused Pentosin CHF11s. Maybe the ABC system is so good it increases the shelf life of fluid by using it.

I will do the transmission and exhaust mounts, I think that’s something I shouldn’t have skipped, as well as the center support bearing (although it looked/felt fine).

·
W220 Moderator
5,650 Posts
Hi,

AFAIK you haven't upset anyone.

However I still say you are wrong, the Cars are not as bullet proof as the older ones, we all know that, also applies to other brands.

But, the fact is they are way superior to most, and contain a lot of systems few actually understand, and even less will bite the bullet and buy the correct machine, (SDS) and certain tools needed to do a job properly, further to that the un initiated then want to buy cheaper parts :frown

There is no such thing as a cheap Benz.

"Lifetime", whether it be transmission Oil, ABC or anything else, all Mfrs are doing that, but in reality it just means "It'll be fine until the Mfrs New Car Warranty is expired, at which point C'est la vie".

These Cars, when they first came out had technology on them that others were only just using in the early 2010's, and some are only just starting to use now.

All makes of modern Cars are not what they used to be, even new Mitsubishis, VAG poop, BMW, Toyota, Ford etc etc etc have taken a nose dive, I know, I work on them all day long, and see this ..................

Lets just consider one component, the Engines ...............

Part of the problem is the increasingly tighter Emission Laws that the knobs in suits keep agreeing without collaboration with Mfrs, the Mfrs then have to comply, which means the ECU strategies are being wound tighter and tighter, so the Engines now run hotter, with more stress, lighter components etc etc so yeah what happens .....................

This is it in a nutshell ........................

Attachments

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
I don’t mean to upset anyone with that statement, but Mercedes themselves admitted (as far as they could) that under Jürgen Schrempp the engineering took a total nosedive, and quality suffered as a result. Mercedes spent a full $1 Billion in 1990’s money designing/building the W140. Not so with the W220. Extremely Basic things constantly break. This car needed way more testing from the factory.

Just two examples of shit enginering:

The “Sealed for Life” transmission; a transmission that never needed any fluid work. What a concept. Turns out mercedes was so wrong, they needed to develop a custom engine flush technique so they could update the fluid type, and also needed to issue a redesigned transmission pan to change the amount of fluid (since they got that wrong too, but also didn’t include a dipstick)

The ABC system, while admittedly amazing, mercedes again claimed is “zero maintenance”... more than the shelf life of unused Pentosin CHF11s. Maybe the ABC system is so good it increases the shelf life of fluid by using it.

I will do the transmission and exhaust mounts, I think that’s something I shouldn’t have skipped, as well as the center support bearing (although it looked/felt fine).
Well, if you do believe it's a "shit" car with "shit" engineering, then you don't have to own one. :) You have many choices out there. Honda Accords are fine cars, too. So are Toyota Avalons. Our family has had both over the years.

It's not that the 722.6 5-speed transmission in our W220's is badly engineered; actually quite the opposite. Rather, it's that *any* transmission needs its fluid changed, and it's not hard to do. There is a provision for a dipstick. I know of 722.6 transmissions that are out there with over 350,000 miles on them. Rossafuss, who owns a W211 E320 CDI with the 722.6, just rebuilt his at 450,000 miles, and it was the torque converter and the fructions (any auto trans will need that after a while); everything else was in pretty good shape. The 722.9 7-speed, I find, is more of a pain in the backside to do your own maintenance on; that was M-B trying to force people to go to their dealers (no provision for a dipstick, apparently). So if you mean the 7-speed, then I'll agree. If you mean the 5-speed in my cars, then I'll have to call BS there.

The ABC system, well, OK, I've got to go along with you there, due to its failure mode. Its failure mode is catastrophic. Yes, people keep them up. However, as I've mentioned previously about the ABC suspension, it's like a California blonde; it's rather high maintenance (I was a blonde, and yes, I am from California, so I get to make that joke any time I want! :grin). It is most certainly not "zero maintenance", and it did leave me stranded (that car has coil-overs now). AIRmatic is great, though; it gives you *plenty* of warning before you're stranded on the side of the road. It's also relatively low maintenance. I would never swap out AIRmatic.

The engines are top-flight, especially the M113 V8's. Those things are so reliable that they go for $200 at the junkyards; nobody needs 'em 'cause they don't break. The M137 V12 had its problems, but its successor, the M275 V12, has proved to be surprisingly robust.

COMAND is outdated now. But it does still work, and it was in cars long well over a decade before all these Android units you see nowadays. It's actually not too hard to swap in one of those new Android head units in, and it looks very much like factory stock (post-facelift).

If I had to pick only one car to drive, just based on sheer practicality, it would be my 2003 S430. That thing is so low-maintenance and trouble-free, it's actually Honda-like. Seriously.

I do hope you get your vibration issue sorted out.

·
Banned
145 Posts
ROUND 3, I THINK I FOUND THE VIBRATION

I had the car lifted today to do the Oxygen sensors and Transmission mount. While there I decided to check the ball joints by lifting the tire. There was a lot of play when lifting it, much more than there should be, but it wasn’t coming from the ball joints or (your typical suspension) bushings. No, it was from the top of the ABC strut. First thought: new struts, the part isn’t available separately.

Alternative: 10mm rubber sheet + drilling.

Googling brought me her:
https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220-s-class/2308290-abc-strut-broken-top-hat.html

Which brought me here:
https://mbworld.org/forums/cl-class-w215/572657-02-cl500-strut-mounts-cracked.html

Which brought me here:
https://mbworld.org/forums/cl-class-w215/564269-replacement-top-mounts.html

Which finally brought me here:
How to ? Repair faulty/failing ABC Strut top rubber mounts | FotiFixes.com ? A Journal of my fixes

Unfortunately home depot doesn’t carry rubber, b/c capitalism and whatever, so I’ll have to source some raw rubber somewhere else. I will try this fix. I don’t think it’s ideal, but it is ideal in the sense that the alternative is something like $1000 + blood, sweat, and tears. Will report if this removes the vibration.

And cowboyt, I disagree w/you on the ABC suspension. It is amazing. absolutely amazing. more cars should have it.

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Hi,

HTH
I've had a subtle vibration between 70 - 80 mph that I've not yet solved. Each time I've had tires rebalanced (3 times in as many months) one's been off by about an ounce. I also suspected the alignment and have had that done, too.
However, as the vibration isn't feelt in just the steering wheel or just the seats as is often the case with a wheel issue, maybe your suggestion on the drive shaft support bearing will be the solution. ;-)

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
I compared the Behr radiator from FCPEuro to the Genuine-MB radiator from MBOemParts.com. Turns out the Genuine-MB radiator is less money, *and* the dealer gives free shipping with the BenzWorld coupon code.
I've been using FCPEuro for most of my parts and haven't used MBOemParts yet. So I looked up the radiator in both and found FCPEuro was still a lot less: $275 vs $350.
Was the coupon code you mentioned only for free shipping? Or was there something else you did to generate the lower price from MBOemParts?

https://www.mboemparts.com/oem-parts/mercedes-benz-radiator-2205000903

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/mercedes-radiator-cl500-cl55-amg-s430-s500-s55-amg-2205000903

·
Registered
958 Posts
Fried Chicken

"......And cowboyt, I disagree w/you on the ABC suspension. It is amazing. absolutely amazing. more cars should have it, xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx edited xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"

I am not happy with that statement.

Moderator has edited it and my post.

41 - 60 of 72 Posts