Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Banned
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Before adding to The Encyclopedia, would like to get a report after some mileage on the fix. So please follow up on this.
My initial assessment was correct. 70MPH is now smooth. Amazing. After browsing seemingly every thread online on this topic, this finally solved the problem.

·
It was fun while it lasted
11,126 Posts

·
Banned
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I'm having similar vibrations as described here:
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220-s-class/2577193-source-creaking-found-tie-rod-ends.html
It looks like you figured yours out and I'm suspecting I may have a similar issue. Since I have a 4matic, I'm sure my bearing set up is much different but it won't hurt to check the left front since my right front had no play.
Someone else on your thread said wheel bearings solved his problem.

I'm not sure of the 4Matic has adjustable wheel bearings on the front. The rear wheel bearings on the RWD version are not adjustable.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
The goal is to adjust the front wheel bearings so as to have zero preload and zero free play.

Front wheel bearings have to be quickly and accurately adjusted on the assembly lines - USA lines run at a vehicle every 50 - 60 seconds!

The standard adjustment method used on the lines:
- Using a tool, tighten the nut while turning the wheel.
- Stop turning the wheel and loosen the nut about one turn.
- Using only your fingers, tighten the nut as tight as you can.
- Check for movement in the wheel by grabbing it at top and bottom and trying to rock it.
- If you can feel any free play, repeat the procedure.

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
I am with you brother.
MB wants .01-.02 MM FP and like I said, using the by hand method I got seven to nine times what MB wants for FP.
I have had three cars that use tapered bearings instead of cartridge type bearings. I feel more comfortable knowing that they are right.
You are right and doing them by hand is perfectly fine once you know how little FP they need...
Vince

·
11,126 Posts
As I suspected, the bearing set up in the 4 matic is quite different. I inspected left front wheel and found drive axle was shot which would explain my vibration. So much slop that it split the boot.

Attachments

·
Banned
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
As I suspected, the bearing set up in the 4 matic is quite different. I inspected left front wheel and found drive axle was shot which would explain my vibration. So much slop that it split the boot.
It seems like you're going to have to replace the bearings.
I would do it sooner rather than later.

·
11,126 Posts
It seems like you're going to have to replace the bearings.
I would do it sooner rather than later.
The bearings are pressed into the hub assembly and it takes a 10-12 ton press to get them out. The guy that's replacing the axle for me, Curtis at Shoals Drive Shaft, has already done the right front axle about 2 years ago. Bearing was fine on that side and the axle was bent. I'll have him inspect the bearings here as well and if they have to come out, he has all the equipment to do it. I found a brand new axle for $366 shipped or I can rebuild my old one for $185. But the axle would have to be sent off and we'd be without the car for 2 weeks which is how long it took last time. I think I'll just get the new one and get my vehicle back on same day.

·
Banned
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
HOLD ON HOLD ON HOLD ON.

I lied, and didn’t update this thread.
I did find the solution to the problem. It had nothing to do with the wheel bearings. It was the Harmonic Damper at the front of the engine. It was completely out of whack. Luckily, this is a relatively cheap part, and is easy to reach. The tricky part is getting the front main seal back in properly. Mine was visibly out of whack (both with the engine running, and with the engine off).

Also, the bolt is a TTY bolt, so keep that in mind.

Good luck to whoever google’s this same problem and is desperate for a solution.

·
Banned
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
AND NOW THE DEMONIC VIBRATION IS BACK AGAIN...

I can safely say the harmonic damper caused a vibration 100%.

I will balance the tires first, and then work from there.

I can't believe this.

·
W220 Moderator
5,674 Posts
What make / brand of Harmonic Damper did you fit back in 2016 ??

Just sayin' ................................. :wink

·
Banned
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
What make / brand of Harmonic Damper did you fit back in 2016 ??

Just sayin' ................................. :wink
I'm not sure, but as a rule I don't put ding dong parts on my cars. I'll give it a look w/the engine running to see if there's something going on.

·
W220 Moderator
5,674 Posts
Hi,

The reason I ask is that around a year ago I fitted what looked to be a good quality part from my reputable local factor to an older, (2004) BMW Diesel, only to have it come back a few weeks later in bits ...............

I then fitted a genuine BMW part which surprisingly wasn't horrendously dearer, and the Car has been perfect since :wink

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
What with Chinese counterfeits (which are not the same thing at all as honest aftermarket parts) flooding the markets, it is getting harder and harder to know whether you are really getting OEM...

·
Banned
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
I looked at the harmonic dampener, it looks maybe slightly shaky, but nowhere near where it was, so I think it’s ok.

OTOH the engine mounts are feeling wonky, and I just replaced those 20k miles ago. I suspect they are fine but might have gotten loose, because tightening one of those was near impossible. I will be doing work on the beast shortly.

[edit]

On second thought I think I need to revisit the harmonic balancer. It looks shakier than it should be. Maybe it's worth paying the absurd price for a mercedes genuine part? gggaahhh

·
W220 Moderator
5,674 Posts
Hi,

Ya gets what ya pay for :wink

The Mercedes parts, (or at very least an MB OEM), will last so many years / miles longer that it usually works out the cheaper option in the long run, especially if you are like me and don't like having to do the same job over and again due to some ass making sh!te parts :frown

HTH,

·
Banned
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Hi,

Ya gets what ya pay for :wink

The Mercedes parts, (or at very least an MB OEM), will last so many years / miles longer that it usually works out the cheaper option in the long run, especially if you are like me and don't like having to do the same job over and again due to some ass making sh!te parts :frown

HTH,
Lemfoerder, Febi, Bilstein, Corteco, F.A.G, Bosch, etc. are not exactly ebay.com chinesium.

21 - 40 of 72 Posts