Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2017 VW GTI Autobahn / (Gone) '02 SLK32 AMG
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, last winter, the last working elemnt died on my seat heaters... Living in the south, they are rarily needed, but with my upcoming move to Germany, I decided it's time to fix them. As my car is shipping in the next 2-weeks, I needed to find a company [in the USA] that would deliver relatively quickly. I found a company on E-Bay located in MN, that had a GREAT deal on heaters.

Buy one kit (2-pads for 1 seat), get a second kit free! So the total, with shipping for 2 seats was only $115.

I ordered them on Monday and they arrived on Thur. I am impressed at the speed as E-Bay transactions always seem to take a bit longer. I will report back after the install, but wanted to pass on the good deal in case anyone else was looking:
Champion Carbon Fiber Seat Heater Kit-Buy 1 Gets 1 Free: eBay Motors (item 120645098645 end time Nov-15-10 19:20:31 PST)

They actually say:
"Specifically designed for Mercedes Benz, BMW, GM and Ford".
Not sure how true that is...

Attachments

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BTW, while they come with full wiring, I'll just be splicing in to the existing heater system and using just the pads.

Also note, the pic is of one kit. I got 2 kits (4-pads) total.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Thanks for the info and yes, please do provide updates on heat output, longevity, etc.

A question if you don't mind: Are they the mesh kind, so that if a wire breaks they keep working except in a small area? I was looking at the ones from heatedseatkits.com but like you, haven't worried too much about it since winters here are pretty mild and tearing the seat apart (and cutting out the old one) don't appeal to my lazy nature.

That said, splicing should be fine, I'd been talking with the HSK folks and they recommended that. Their included switchgear is similar, providing two-stage heat.

Enjoy the install, the move, and, of course, the schnitzel. ;)

·
Registered
SLK32 AMG
593 Posts
Please post pix of your install, my 03 SLK32 went thru 7 heater elements while in warranty,now I need 3 out of 4 to be replaced.
I wonder how difficult this job will be.
Adrian

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Please post pix of your install, my 03 SLK32 went thru 7 heater elements while in warranty,now I need 3 out of 4 to be replaced.
I wonder how difficult this job will be.
Adrian
Hey, Adrian. I lost one under warranty (W210) and the replacement died not long ago. Sigh. If you enjoy upholstery work (NOT!) it's not that difficult. You can play off a couple threads in the 140 and 210 forums for people who've changed lumbar bladders and SRS pads. Basically it's unplug everything, remove the seat, remove the upholstery, remove the OEM seat heaters (which are stitched to the inside of the seat covers, hence the reference to cutting them out), install the new ones, put the covers back on the frame/padding, splice the new heater wires to the old harness cut from the OEM heaters, reinstall the seat and plug everything in.

Twenty minutes, tops. ;) :crybaby2:

Yeah, I'm just joking about the 20 minutes. The largest danger, as I understand it from thread reviews, is in tearing the upholstery while trying to reinstall it on the frame.

Also, some have said you don't need to actually cut the old elements from the upholstery, but that would mean reduced effectiveness of the replacement since they have to heat through that one as well.

As you can probably tell, I've read quite a bit about it and simply haven't convinced myself I want to go there -- yet. Winters here are pretty mild (usually low 40s is about the coldest we see) so it's just not a big priority for me. Plus I walk to work much of the time, so it's not a frequent issue anyway. Curiously part of me wants to do it "just for the fun of it", but I have enough other projects lined up I can't bring myself to commit to it.

Take care,
Greg

·
Registered
2012 E350 :-) 2002 E320 (sold)
432 Posts
Curiously part of me wants to do it "just for the fun of it", but I have enough other projects lined up I can't bring myself to commit to it.

Take care,
Greg
Greg,
you can come over and put heaters in my seat heaters for the fun of it. All these 10 minute jobs usually take about 3 hours. And, there is always that one bolt, screw, clip, etc.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I replace the passenger seat ones today. Took about 1.5 hours because I had no clue what I was doing and had to go back and reference the forums. BTW, this is a good thread for the 32 as the XFire guys have the same seats:
Heated seat fault

Overall it was pretty easy and minimal tools were needed. Now that I know how to do it, I will take pics when I do the other seat. My guess is 45 min tops, with removing the seat. They might be able to be change with the seat in-place, but they come out so easy, why bother being cramped.

As they get installed under the pad, they take a couple minutes to warm up, but for $114... I have absolutely NO problem with that.

Note: I spliced them into the factory wiring and they were the perfect size and required no cutting.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is what I came up with for my version of instructions. Note this is for the SLK32 seats, but I'm sure they are all about the same. Total time on my 2nd seat was 1 hr 15 min, since I learned the tricks during the 1st seat.

1) angle seat forward and unclip seat cover (remove from track)
2) remove 4 bolts holding seat in
3) angle seat back as far as possible (lift it so the back comes off the floor)
4) unbolt the seatbelt (17mm)
5) unplug the connectors and then remove seat
FOR SEAT CUSHION:
6) remove 1 T-20 screw, slide control panel forward, then down to remove
7) remove sides & front of lower seat cover from track
8) unplug 2 copper wire connectors
9) using needle nose pliers, unclip seat cover in 4-places
10) pull cover up and install new heater
NOTE: I cut the wire off the OEM heater.
11) route wire and splice into factory wire
FOR SEAT BACK:
12) unplug 2 copper wire connectors
13) slide new heater up into place
NOTE: I cut off the OEM wire
14) route wire and splice into factory wire
Reassemble everything in reverse order.

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts
Very good right up. I have no heat at all in my drivers seat and I will go with this kit. One question. My drivers side leather is aging on the left bolster like most cars do. I have new leather cover for the seat back. How hard is it to full the whole cover and replace? Anyone know?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here is what I came up with for my version of instructions. Note this is for the SLK32 seats, but I'm sure they are all about the same. Total time on my 2nd seat was 1 hr 15 min, since I learned the tricks during the 1st seat.

1) angle seat forward and unclip seat cover (remove from track)
2) remove 4 bolts holding seat in
3) angle seat back as far as possible (lift it so the back comes off the floor)
4) unbolt the seatbelt (17mm)
5) unplug the connectors and then remove seat
FOR SEAT CUSHION:
6) remove 1 T-20 screw, slide control panel forward, then down to remove
7) remove sides & front of lower seat cover from track
8) unplug 2 copper wire connectors
9) using needle nose pliers, unclip seat cover in 4-places
10) pull cover up and install new heater
NOTE: I cut the wire off the OEM heater.
11) route wire and splice into factory wire
FOR SEAT BACK:
12) unplug 2 copper wire connectors
13) slide new heater up into place
NOTE: I cut off the OEM wire
14) route wire and splice into factory wire
Reassemble everything in reverse order.
Good evening Buggin,
I'm sorry if I speak bad English but I'm an Italian who lives and writes from Italy.
Also I have the same problem for my seats slk r170 32 amg.
Both seats stopped working.
I found the aftermarket mats from this company: https://www.carboluxe.com/de/endkunden/bezugsquellen/pkwliste/&action=search.
With this product I can solve the problem of central seat heaters.
But how can you do it for the side strips?
The strips along the dorsal shoulders and the thighs?
Thanks for the help you want to give me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts