Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local mechanic informed me the cross-drilled rotors for my 2005 C230 run $250/piece. Must I install cross-drilled rotors? Can I use blank rotors instead? Any recommendations for "inexpensive" rotors that won't compromise the safety of the driver (my lead-footed girlfriend)? Will I fuck up the car if I "hold off" on rotors and change only the pads for now?

·
Registered
2010 C200 CGI /W203/SLK230/W202/230E/280SE
3,301 Posts
Some people have noted annoying noise from cross drilled rotors - plain rotors would be standard on your car I would think anyway.

You can get ATE grooved rotors for about $60 - work really well with Akebono dustless pads.

If the rotors are below the min. thickness (s/be stamped on edge of rotor) you might injure someone! - how thin are they going to be in 30k? - they sometimes warp a little when getting to the minimum and vibrate when braking at speed.

Oberoi

Attachments

·
Registered
2001 CLK55 AMG, 2002 C32 AMG
1,637 Posts
smooth rotors will actually provide better stopping performance than the cross drilled rotors. cross drilled rotors are only good for looks... thats it, and i dont even think they look that great. slotted rotors will give you the best performance but will generally cost more than the standard rotors. many online companies can offer rotors cheaper than you will find in the stores.

·
Registered
'01 SLK230 Kompressor, '95 C280, '98 BMW 528i, '86 BMW M635CSi EURO, '87 190E 2.3-16
441 Posts
Turning rotors may be sometimes more expensive than getting new ones (e.g. for my w201 local shop asks $40 for each while a pair of new OEM for the front is around $60)

Whatever you get keep in mind, that car does most of braking with front rotors, so if it may be ok to use cheap aftermarket in the rear (I did with no problem), the front _has_ to be OEM or better.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2013 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI, 2011 Mazda 2, 2000 E320 4Matic Wagon (retired),1994 C280 (retired)
3,488 Posts
The idea behind cross-drilled rotors is that they provide better dissipation of heat and gasses and prevent brake-fade under extreme use situations, like on a track where you would be constanting leaning on the brakes hard. As lidquiduscalade said, with crossdrilled you lose surface area for the pads to clamp down on, but for track use the reduction in surface area becomes a worthwhile trade for the better heat sink properties.

You'll never use those heat sink properties on the street. "Normal" brake rotors can withstand a couple of panic stops in a row without fading - and the truth is when we have a panic stop, we don't get back up to 60 mph and then panic stop again in 30 seconds. Crossdrilled for street use are only about cosmetic appeal. The only exception to that would be if your car came from the factory with them. I've seen AMG cars come factory equipped with cross-drilled, and I'd trust the AMG engineers knew what they were doing.

Get a quality rotor from an OEM manufacturer like Balo, get new pads, and let them seat in together.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Find a new mechanic.

If it's too late, ask him why he can't use the old rotors.

Remember, original equipment on these cars are just plain old flat rotors. No holes, no slots.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Some people have noted annoying noise from cross drilled rotors - plain rotors would be standard on your car I would think anyway.

You can get ATE grooved rotors for about $60 - work really well with Akebono dustless pads.

If the rotors are below the min. thickness (s/be stamped on edge of rotor) you might injure someone! - how thin are they going to be in 30k? - they sometimes warp a little when getting to the minimum and vibrate when braking at speed.

Oberoi
+ 1

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I believe cross-drilled rotors come with the original equipment included in the sport package. Nonetheless I am going to stick with jlomon's theory that flat rotors will provide adequate enough cooling for city/highway driving. I would be surprised if the driver of this vehicle takes it much faster than 80 MPH.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts