Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
99 E430, 08 E63 AMG
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DISCLAIMER: I have a '99 E430. I cannot account for the functioning and/or fitment of all W210 models so the below reflects my experience with this specific Mercedes model/year. YMMV.

I recently purchased an Autel MD808 Pro under the belief that it could, among other things, clear the "Service Engine Soon" instrument cluster readout on any Mercedes with OBD II. Per Autel Tech Department it can clear codes/instrument cluster readouts through the OBDII port...but only for years '08 and newer, which I (frustratingly) discovered AFTER I had purchased and attempted to use it. According to said tech department, there is NO ADAPTER that can be used to interface the MD808 Pro to the 38-pin connector. For that matter, the technician intimated that the tool that Autel produced that COULD interface and clear the instrument cluster readout was a >$4K model. Sorry, but even if I have to pay the local independent shop $100 for a simple reset, that's still 40 code clearances...and I will never need that many...I hope.
The technician further explained that the '99 Mercedes was a little ahead of its time, having BOTH the 38-pin connector found under the hood in the fuse box AND the OBD II port under the dash. From what I understand, the OBD II port will allow the reading of ENGINE-specific data...but just about any inexpensive OBD II scanner can do that.
Because I was seeking a scan tool that could read ALL the data/systems AND reset service notices, I opted for this particular scanner, the Autel DS808 Pro ($265 on Amazon and referred to as MaxiDiag Advanced MD808 Pro; a reasonable price to pay for such an otherwise versatile does-it-all scanner) because it will do as claimed...on '08 and newer Mercedes. I will be using it on my '08 E63 AMG, as well as other OBDII vehicles, so I will not return the scanner.
If there is an inexpensive scanner that CAN read ALL the data/systems AND clear the instrument cluster readouts, I would be interested in hearing about it/them.
BTW, the cheap OBD II 16-pin to Mercedes 38-pin connector adapters available out there might work with some vehicles but NOT ON A '99 E430. Don't waste your time/money.
HTH!

·
Registered
2002 E55 AMG Sedan
1,233 Posts
There are only two that might work the carsoft V12 and the carsoft mi6. Nobody has tried the MI6 yet. And I think someone tried the V12 but it couldn't connect to the ABS module or something. But I don't think he tried it on the other modules in the car.

Besides those two, there is no other scanner that can read everything except SDS. And the SDS will cost about $450.

·
Premium Member
1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
7,438 Posts
If "service engine soon" is the one with the wrench, you do not need a scanner to clear it.

Follow the instructions.

Anyone who buys those $4 to $10 OBD2 to 38-pin adapter cables and expect to access all the modules is dreaming. All this cable does is to provide OBD2 appearance (engine computer only) to those models that do not have the OBD2 sockets in the cabin. This is true for non-USA cars, where the access is strictly from the 38 pin connectors for some model years). This cable provided those owners a way to access engine data via a cheap OBD2 scanner.

If you want to access ALL the modules for your car, an MB Star C3 /C4 clone is a way to go. But it has a long learning curve. CarSoft seems to have support issues based on comments from recent users.

I mostly use a Delphi system for my 1998 E320, and I can access Engine computer, Transmission Control Unit, Instrument Cluster, Restraint System, Ignition (EIS), Climate Control, ABS/BAS, but it will not read body control modules, like SAM, PSE, door control modules, lower/upper console modules etc. This is good enough for me.

You can do some reading on the scanners and capabilities in the link

You are being redirected...

·
Registered
E250 Bluetec Sprinter250 Bluetec
37,147 Posts
The cheap MaxiEcu works on those cars with its $10 adapter.
The only issue I found that it did not support TCM on earlier (prelift) W210.
Scanner purchasing turns into whole science, as manufacturers don't list supporting modules (MaxiEcu is the only 1 who does that) and actual sellers have no clue what they are selling.
But I just test the $220 Schwaben on my W211 and it did a lot on it. Can't tell how much it supports on W210, but seems more and more competition is coming to beat the $4500 price tag.

·
Premium Member
7,438 Posts
The website for MaxiECU says it CAN read and reset codes for EGS51 (which is the TCM for the pre-facelift E class cars), and you are saying it does not.

A list of capabilities makes no sense, unless the product can actually support, at least willing to support and WILL support them. For one-man (or few-men) shops like MaxiECU, it does not really make any financial sense to keep their support promise for older cars. So, practically, you are on your own.

The only thing you can go by is that someone actually used a product for the model and model year of your car, and has proven that it does what it is supposed to do for every module it claims that it supports.

Here is the website for the MaxiECU for MB support.

https://www.maxiecu.com/software,2,en.html

Also, the MPM COM (the generic hardware for the MaxiECU) needs a special 38-pin cable adapter which is completely different from Ebay adapters, and will not work with other systems (due to pin mapping differences). You can buy it as a bundle.

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG
4,601 Posts
Autel sells a OBD to 38- pin adapter that works for their high end scanner. I have a hard time believing that the same adapter won't work for your autel scanner.

Reactions: mrboca

·
Registered
37,147 Posts
The website for MaxiECU says it CAN read and reset codes for EGS51 (which is the TCM for the pre-facelift E class cars), and you are saying it does not..
It did not over a year ago (you were checking that with me, remember?) but as legal software, it is subject to constant updates.
I still wait for them to cover ECU on my 250 Bluetec, but even the software recognize the module, there is no menu to work with it.
Right now I am playing with MBII. It seems to have nice menu, but several times got error message, so it will take some to to figure out what it can do.
Still not bad for $140 scanner.
My first scanner cost me $140 (over 10 years ago) and all it does is read/interpret OBD codes.

·
Registered
99 E430, 08 E63 AMG
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for all the insightful/instructive/helpful replies. Sincerely appreciate them. Right now the biggie to me is clearing/resetting the service indicators. I'll give Autel a follow-up call about the indicated adapter available on Amazon, "Autel 38 Pin OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner Adapter Connector Cable for Mercedes Benz" , their own product, to find out if it will work with the DS808 Pro in all claimed capabilities.
I'll post tomorrow...assuming I can get through.

·
Registered
99 E430, 08 E63 AMG
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK. It's confirmed. There is no way to interface the 38 pin connector to the OBD II 16-pin connector with an "inexpensive" Autel scanner.
I'm starting a new thread...I can't believe what I've just discovered...not related to this scanner issue.

·
Registered
37,147 Posts
Another day, another test.
MBII by ICarsoft does work with $10 adapter to 38 pins.
I had to ran limited test as my R129 is not supported by MBII, but enter W211 and it did scan few modules the cars have the same, or similiar.
W210 is not in MBII menu neither.

·
Premium Member
7,438 Posts
If Icarsoft supports MLxxx series, you should try those like ML320 1998 +.

ML series do not have 38 pin connectors, so specific modules appear on the OBD2 specific pins (several modules on one pin usually). These pins on the OBD2 are called vendor specific pins, and the scanners usually access only one of them per pin. The same applies to W211 where the modules appear on specific OBD2 pins.

So, by just using your MaxiECU adapter cable, you accessed some of those modules mapped by the cable.

·
Registered
w124 400E x R129 w210 x w203 C280 (272/722.9)
447 Posts
I purchased the iCarsoft CR Pro recently specifically for my 04/97.... E320.... 210.055. All I get is "link error". The Icarsoft rep online keeps trying to convince me my car is not OBDII even though my Innova 3030 has been working great on it for the last several years (until the battery leaked and corroded the board) Said I needed the 38 pin adapter so I bought one on Amazon. Same issue. Apparantly I have to purchase THEIR 38 pin adapter. But I don't think it will work either because the Mercedes software listed in the CR Pro menu doesn't even list the 210.055 E320. Waste of time trying to deal with ICarsoft rep. in China. I'm replacving my Innova.

·
Premium Member
7,438 Posts
Yes you need to purchase their own adapter.

The OBD2 ECU diagnostic line comes to pin 7 of the OBD2 connector. If the Icarsoft is run in the MB mode (not OBD2 mode), the definitions of the pins would be different, let's say, the ECU access is through pin 2 (just as an example). So the scanner in MB mode is trying to access the ECU via pin 2, but nothing is connected to your OBD2 connector pin 2. Hence, you get a link error.

Generic 38 pin adapters will not help. You need to use the Icarsoft adapter, or use OBD2 (generic) mode. But then again, people have reported problems even with the correct 38 pin adapter.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Yeah...and that's the problem. Their 38pin adapter will probably not work anyway as there is no link in the MB list of cars in the CR Pro that is for the 210.055. Lots of other W210 models but not the 210.055
Not sure what you mean by the OBD2 mode selection.
I don't think there is such an option on this unit.
You select your maker then got through the list to your model.

·
Registered
447 Posts
.....and why do I even need to use the 38pin adapter....this car has the OBDII connector.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I've tested the CR Pro on a 2007 W203 without issue. So I assume that it is using the correct pin to communicate with the Mercedes ECU

·
Premium Member
7,438 Posts
Yeah...and that's the problem. Their 38pin adapter will probably not work anyway as there is no link in the MB list of cars in the CR Pro that is for the 210.055. Lots of other W210 models but not the 210.055
Not sure what you mean by the OBD2 mode selection.
I don't think there is such an option on this unit.
You select your maker then got through the list to your model.
Check the link out.

Which says
a) update your software to the latest
b) contact Barnett Davis in the USA using the email address posted.

He should be able to tell you if you have any hope to scan your car's Engine computer in the OBD2 mode. How to get to that mode, I do not know because the Icarsoft is short on online manuals. But you can try selecting OBD2/EOBD instead of diagnosis, if it exists. You could ask that question to Barnett Davis.

www.icarsoft.us/Uploads/download/iCarsoft_V2.0_Series_Manual.pdf

·
Premium Member
7,438 Posts
.....and why do I even need to use the 38pin adapter....this car has the OBDII connector.
The OBD2 connector for your car only allows connection to the Engine computer. The 38 pin adapter allows you to communicate other modules like the instrument cluster, ABS, SRS, Body control systems, Transmission controller, etc.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I have been in touch with Barnett Davis.
He (they) is in China and I think the name is misleading.
He hasn't really been very helpful.
He is the one that tried to convince me my car isn't OBD2

1 - 20 of 32 Posts