Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes E280 1994
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a C180 1995. When it gets very humid or very hot the indicators usually stop working! MOST of the time, in normal temperatures and dry weather they are OK. I've also noticed that sometimes the fuel gauge does not show the correct value (like nearly empty after a fill?) - again in humid weather; however if I stop, switch off then switch on the ignition and wait a couple of seconds THEN restart, it seems OK. I believe I have noticed one or two other gauges acting up occasionally. It's gradually getting worse I think. I've been told it's most likely RELAYS, but needs an auto electrician with a few hours (@ $$$$/hour..) Can anyone give me specifics about these problems, maybe pics, a web site, or which relays might be affected? How many relays are there anyway??

·
Registered
2004 Lexus LS 430 Modern Luxury. 2012 Acura TSX (fun fun) Maybe MB again one day...
2,604 Posts
Are you talking about the needles on the temp and gas gauges?

If you are, they stick. The paint on the needles will stick to the peg that they rest on. So when you start the car up, they will just sit sometimes. If you look very closely you can see where the shape changes on the needle (so slightly) from this.

The remedy is to take the cluster out and lightly clean the needles with rubbing alcohol.

Some people tap the dashboard to get them lose, but I don't like doing that. It works sometimes, but I just don't like banging on it.

Hope this helps..if that is indeed your problem.

·
Registered
Mercedes E280 1994
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the gauges are in a sealed unit, are they not?
Anyway, to be honest that is not the real problem: The real problem is the the indicators - I think it has to be realy problems but I would like to have heard from somebody who really knows about this kind of problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The cluster on your car is not a sealed unit therefor you can take it apart. It would be worth your while to check and see if the goo has come out onto your pegs and is holding the needles down. This is quite common on your style instrument cluster. But obviously, it could be an electrical issue as well. I have done way more goo clean off repairs than electrical repairs on those clusters.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts