Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes 300E 1991
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there guys, how you all doing? I have a S320 (104 engine) and am quite tired of the performance and the "standard" engine noise. I would like to know what I could possibly do to increase performance? Are superchargers available for 6 Cylinder Mercs? Performance chip? Are there any diverse effects?
The car is lovely to drive but is lacking a little in the power department. I do not want a heavier v8 or v12 S class so I want to see what can be pushed out of this 104. Im sure some of you also have the same discontent with the S320's performance sometimes. What can be done? I may just buy a W203 C32 AMG. I love the big Merc feel, but sometimes I need to use some extra power. The C32's performance is quite stunning, I never knew this W203 was so fast!!
Lastly I bought a Remus Romolus performance Sports exhaust (back box), in the hope of giving the car a more "throaty growl", like on the BMWs and Mercs on the Remus Website (you can sample the sounds). The car has the same boring sound (sounds weak, and does not suit such a big car) when accelerating. There is only a difference up to approximately 1,700 RPM. That noise is like a growl, and can only really be heard when you are standing behind the car. My car is not faulty (before anyone thinks the noise is due to a fault, this is the standard noise and all S320s sound the same!!). Im thinking there is no big difference because the length of the exhaust pipe from the manifold up until the back box is so long that there is not that much pressure flowing to cause the growl? Wouldnt Remus have thought of that? Anyway, Ive ordered a K&N filter and maybe that will have some effect on sound, although Im not expecting much in terms of Performance improvement. Let me know.

·
Premium Member
1997 S600 (sold)
4,660 Posts
You've got a 5000 lb car. It's gonna take a huge bump in torque to move it

a lot faster than the 3.2 L inline 6 does now. To make the significant gains in torque that you'll want, you won't want to just bolt on a supercharger. It's a fairly high compression engine to begin with. You'll want to strengthen the internals of the engine and reduce compression to do it right. Here comes a complete engine rebuild and hours of dyno work and tuning. (Of course, this is if you want to do it right.) Not worth it in my book. Get the C32 AMG for a more fun, more reliable kick in the pants when you stomp the throttle. Or get a 600 model. I don't think it's reasonable to say you don't want the extra weight of the bigger engine. The extra weight is such a small percentage of the weight of the car to begin with. Quick calculation for going from LWB S320 to S600: weight increase = 10%, torque increase = 81%. I don't think you could do that well with any mods to the S320 and maintain the same value and reliability vs. buying a 600.

Unless you're a tinkerer at heart and this is a project meant for fun, the value just isn't there, IMHO.

Brett

·
Registered
Mercedes 300E 1991
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Brett, that was very insightful. I never realised the difference in weight was so little versus the torque gain. Although it may seem the S600 requires more maintenance, I really would not mind buying one for that type of power n this type of car. We had a 1995 S500 before, that was lovely. Then I bought this S320 last year, lovely condition with a verified 52,000 miles (its a 95 model also), from a company director I knew. You got any idea if the K&N filter will work with the Remus Sport exhaust, to improve the note of the car?
I will post pics of the S as soon as I receive my new AMG rims, in around three and half weeks.

Also, do know what components are required to be changed at the 60,000 mile mark? I will of course be doing everything myself. Let me know and say HELLO TO SAN DIEGO for me, I havent been there for around 2.5 years. Have they finished building the stadium near downtown yet?? Cheers

·
Premium Member
1997 S600 (sold)
4,660 Posts
Can't comment on K&N. You might try searching this forum.

The owner's manual might have 60K mile maintenance info. I'd have to look at mine to see. I would think it's oil, spark plugs, fuel filter, air filter, climate control filters, engine accessory belt, some other stuff too I'm sure. Check fluids, power steering, coolant, self-levelling suspension, brake.

Brett

·
Registered
Mercedes 300E 1991
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will check it all out, cheers Brett! I guess I will have a chance to see the new Petco Stadium when I go to California later in the year..[8D][8D]

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
YOU CAN make a S320 fast. you should check my results on * under the W140 forum, my project S32 ///AMG car is turning into quite a power horse. I already did custom CF ram air intake and custom exhaust system on the car and it drives SOO much better than it used to. Also by doing cutom exhaust i dropped a good 50lbs off the car. also taking out spare tire and jack and tool kit will also help power to weight ratio quite a bit b/c all that adds up to about 65-75 lbs. the real enemy is weight obviously so the more weight you can drop the better the car will perform. I will also be doing custom headers (b/c stock headers are very poorly designed and also cast iron is VERY heavy).

Check out the * forum all my posts are there

·
Registered
Mercedes 300E 1991
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im definately checkin out you project S32, homey...I hope you do it great for all the S320 owners out there! Make us proud with your 32.[8D]

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
hey guys,

for some reason i can't link over to MB-world (take out hyphen, i just included it b/c forum won't let me type out the word for some reason).

check out the W140 section under MB-world and you will see all my posts, i have a huge S32 thread thats over 200 posts long, check it out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts