Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1984 300D
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. This is my first post to this forum.

I have owned for the past 10 years a 1984 300D. It now has 230K on it. It has been for the most part trouble free while I've owned it. However, many little things have accumulated:

1.) The heater buttons have no effect other than the "off" button. All other buttons produce one effect--defrost. When the "defrost" button is pushed, the fan comes on high, but otherwise it is no different than any other button. The temperature knob has no effect, either.

2.) If you use the door locks, the next time you try to shut off the engine, it will not die for a lengthy time. It has always eventually shut off, but sometimes it can take 30-45 seconds. Occasionally it will do this whether or not the door locks have been used, but it always does it following door lock use.

3.) Oil seems to be spewing from every available orifice and gasketed surface on the engine. It makes a terrible mess wherever it is parked but the engine doesn't use oil in proportion to the apparent leaks. I change oil at 5K mile intervals, and will add maybe four quarts over 5K miles. To see the driveway, you'd swear it was using a gallon every 1000 miles. The intake is filthy from inhaling crankcase gases and it looks like there is some blow-by but the engine starts good when cold and runs good, too.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking the vacuum pump may be the culprit for the heater and shut off problems. Anybody have similar experience?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1986 300E, 1985 300D
77 Posts
Problems

Your not alone!

My 85 300D has very similar problems your 84 is having.

My Temperature knob also doesn't seem to have any effect.

My door locks and ignition have the same exact problem as your car. Sometimes the doorlocks won't even work. but my car shuts off in about 10 seconds when key is removed, but most of the time it works properly. Very Very Very annoying and embarassing when the car is still running and your outside of the car with the keys in your hand!

Oil is coming out of the crankcase "Breather" (I think that's what it's called) It also makes a little mess of the engine bay, but i don't need to add any oil between changes.

I'll probably get it checked out when i get my transmission serviced next month. by the way my car has 204k on it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.