Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

· Registered
Current: 2004 SL500, 2005 E500 4MATIC Wagon
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Yay me... After sitting the garage all day/night, the car is sagging on the front driver's corner. Appears to level out properly when I hit the raise button. ;-) & ;-(

Will take it to my local Benz guy and see what is what.

· Registered
2009 SL 550
115 Posts
Thanks all. I’m about to pull the trigger.

Carfax is superb, inclusive of MB service up to recent.

Extended test drive went well.

The only thing I found is that after testing the headlight washer button, it started draining washer fluid. They are discounting $750 for the replacement pump and labor.

The left side view mirror is discolored to the point where it’s difficult to see through, anyone know if that’s a fairly simple job?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've never even tried that button on mine.... not driving in the rain, LOL
I did notice my windshield washer fluid reservoir can't be filled to the top, leaking somewhere at the filler, but that doesn't matter to me either :)

· Registered
2005 SL 500 R230
523 Posts
Yay me... After sitting the garage all day/night, the car is sagging on the front driver's corner. Appears to level out properly when I hit the raise button.

You have an internal leak in the front valve block in the ABC hydraulic system. It's like the lock on a hydraulic floor jack, when you turn the handle to lock it in position. As everything ages, fluid leaks back to the tank.

You can rebuild it for low cost. Search 'ABC valve block repair' to learn more.

· Registered
531 Posts
On my 500 I looked in the rear compartment to see if the CD changer was still there since the original owner put a Kenwood system in.
No CD changer but in its place an amp. The name escapes me at the moment, but at the time I looked it up and found out it sells for $800.

· Registered
2007 SL550 (R230) and 2012 SClass Designo (W221)
204 Posts
Regarding the headlamp washer leaking, it might not be the pump. Mine leaked at the washer fitting mechnism, which is under some pressure, and leaked fluid onto the engine bay covers and then garage floor, turning reservoir low warning on. I replaced both parts, you need to drop the bumper, which isn't too tough.

· Registered
Current: 2004 SL500, 2005 E500 4MATIC Wagon
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Yay me... After sitting the garage all day/night, the car is sagging on the front driver's corner. Appears to level out properly when I hit the raise button.

You have an internal leak in the front valve block in the ABC hydraulic system. It's like the lock on a hydraulic floor jack, when you turn the handle to lock it in position. As everything ages, fluid leaks back to the tank.

You can rebuild it for low cost. Search 'ABC valve block repair' to learn more.
Thanks, my local shop is recommending both a new valve block and strut. Can an old strut contribute to the sagging? (Car has 83K miles)

· Registered
2005 SL500
197 Posts
No such thing as a "new" valve block. Just newly rebuilt/refurbished. Valve blocks have been out of production by M-B for a long time.

Reactions: TX-420SEL

· Registered
2005 SL 500 R230
523 Posts
Only the first generation ABC 1 valve blocks are obsolete. You can buy new ABC 2 valve blocks from MB and fit them to ABC 1 cars. Cost will be the only issue.

· Registered
'03 SL500's Tanzanite Blue, Aegean Blue, Mars Red, Alabaster White '11 S550 Flint Gray
451 Posts
Only the first generation ABC 1 valve blocks are obsolete. You can buy new ABC 2 valve blocks from MB and fit them to ABC 1 cars. Cost will be the only issue.
Actually the ABC 1 block with discrete valves is the one discontinued (2203200358). It is replaced with a new style with twin, non-removable valves (2203201258). This valve block is only for ABC 1. The ABC 2 blocks have a single wire plug to each solenoid block, pressure sensors for each strut, and an o-ring plug type line mounting.

When using the 220-320-12-58 block on the SL rear, you need the latest hard lines to the accumulator and to the strut disconnects. I think there is a clearance issue with the old lines/new blocks, but I'm not sure exactly why the old style lines don't work.

· Registered
2005 SL 500 R230
523 Posts
Has anyone worked out a way to rebuild the newer style valve blocks yet?

They had to assemble it somehow so there must be a way to get it apart and rebuild it.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts