Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Try Euro Motorworks up in Fishers - they've usually been pretty fair to me and they will occassionally offer free inspections (they're very thorough).

I'm needing to find a good shop for soft top replacements.

·
Administratoris Emeritus
46,416 Posts
Call your nearest Mercedes dealer, ask for their service dept., then ask which upholstery shop they use.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Has anyone used Pete's Service at 49th and Pennsylvania? They specialize in Euro makes, especially British (so they must be brave too). Near where I'm moving to, so they would be convenient. Nice assortment of lot vehicles when the google-cam came by (check out the streetview for 4902 N Pennsylvania St, Indianapolis, IN 46205)

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I used to take my car up to INDY" Worldwide Motors for services when it was still under warranty. When the warranty expired, I use a local MB repair shop in Bloomington. I think the owner is more knowledgeable then the dealer grease monkeys.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I used to take my car up to INDY" Worldwide Motors for services when it was still under warranty. When the warranty expired, I use a local MB repair shop in Bloomington. I think the owner is more knowledgeable then the dealer grease monkeys.
They don't have a very good reputation, at least with MBCA members.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I can confirm that, they are more monkeys then mechanic. One time or first time I brought my car there for services, they spilled oil all over the engine compartment. I was driving home and noticed steam coming out from the wheel wall! Second time, they recommended a cooling flush, fine, it's time, but the monkey forgot to tighten the cooling cap and it was leaking like crazy when I got home. Talk about years of combined experience, yeah, monkey eating bananas all day long.

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
I have used Autohaus Dierolf in Carmel. They are are little expensive on parts costs. I might try Black Forest motors soon.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Where in Bloomington?

I live in Bloomington and am looking for a good shop for my older Mercedes. What shop do you use?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Bloomington Recommendation

Took my car to Quality Imports - probably best mechanic in Bloomington, has been in business over 30 years and only works on mercedes. Little pricey, however, cheaper than the dealer. GL

·
Registered
112 Posts
Not really too big of a fan of autohaus meerkle... I have had them run several dino's for me and once had them do a timing belt on my jetta. I got my car back in worse shape than when I took it to them... I do my own work now if the Indiana weather is permitting. J Frank is a good shop on the north west side they have worked on my mbz and I have never had any complaint. He actually imported my car in the early 80's. FYI they are trying to get rid of there old inventory if anyone is looking for parts check them out they are willing to deal!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've been checking into JFrank, and am somewhat put-off. The son now "runs" the location and seems a bit difficult to "reach". I've met and spoken with the elder J Frank, and he's a nice man. He told me yesterday his son was there from 8 'til 4, so I dropped by this afternoon, oh, around 1-1:15. There was a note on the locked door; Gone to lunch, be back around 4! I guess one has to make an appointment to make an appointment.
I called Bob Squires and left a message, so hopefully I'll get a call from him.

I DO appreciate all the recommendations given in this thread.

Thank you!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a 72 280 SEL and have had a tough time finding a good shop to work on my car. I tried Bob Squires and found him to be weird and difficult to deal with. Merkel will charge whatever they can get away with but ok if you know exactly what needs to be done and tell them what to charge! Dierhoff has been good so far but only a few experiences. J Franck is the closest to me and has a horrible reputation from what I hear and my only meeting with a mechanic made me run away quickly. Had some work done at Werners in Ft Wayne and they charged me about double the estimate but did really good work, Werner personally did the job and he did it right, but not cheap.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just for informational purposes, Bob Squires is rather ill. I spoke with him today for about 10 mins. and he told me he's battling a serious infection and is having heart surgery soon. He'll be out of commission 'til ~ the middle of May.

I'm still going to check-out Black Forest and may be Bloomington(at least the drive to B-ton would be fun; 135 to Bean Blossom then 45 to B-ton :eclipsee_steering:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Any local indy with an actual SDS that is willing to turn off teleaid? MB only calls for .3 hr labor. Some of the indy I spoke with charge an hour minimum or don't want to touch teleaid. Thanks,

1 - 20 of 48 Posts