Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
06 M5, 07 RS4, 07 ML63
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after driving around with the top up mostly all winter, it feels like an entirely different car top down. This Sunday, the weather will be 50 and sunny.... good time to come. [8D]

And speaking of F1, what replaces last season's SLK55 as this season's new safety car?

Anyone else an F1 fan?

Hopefully, The McLaren-Mercedes cars don't keep blowing up again this year now that they've got two great drivers on the team together.

·
Registered
SLK 200, Golf V GTI
269 Posts
RE: In honor of the beginning of the F1 season, drove with the top down all day today.

Haven't seen much coverage of the race, but when I was watching I saw an M3, and a 5-series (not sure whether it was an M5) medical car. Has Mercedes given up providing the course/safety cars?

I too hope Mclaren can do well this year. It will be interesting to see if the changes regarding downforce and engines will make a difference to the racing this weekend....

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
RE: In honor of the beginning of the F1 season, drove with the top down all day today.

I took my car out of the storage garage yesterday and I'm looking forward to a weekend of driving, much of it with the top down. The roads in the Chicago area sure are beat up.

Masmole, Do you use either the plastic or net wind blocker?

·
Registered
slk 350
30 Posts

he Guys!
Hier it it,lets go and meet at Flatlanders in Lincolnshire on sunday ,tomoroe at, maybe noon! if anyone else shows up ,bang,we got us the first Chicagoland slk350 meet!With the wether like it is her in march we got to take it day to day..if nobody shows up,i be haveing a nice brunch ...[:p]

flatlanders
200 village green
lincolnshire il
847 821 1234

have a great weekend guys!

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts

schnellgo, Sorry I can't make it tomorrow. Previous committment. Duo-Art

·
Registered
E55 AMG
359 Posts

It will be CLS55 AMG ... I think [8)]

·
Registered
06 M5, 07 RS4, 07 ML63
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Yep, I use the plexiglass windscreen but not all winter. I just got it 2 weeks ago... only really makes a difference at highway speeds.

I can't do that last-minute gathering in lincolnshire either. Need more advance notice than that but I'm all for some kind of gathering or drive in the near future.

·
Registered
SLK350
365 Posts

masmole - 3/6/2005 12:09 PM
And speaking of F1, what replaces last season's SLK55 as this season's new safety car?

Anyone else an F1 fan?
QUOTE]

I am watching the Melbourne F1 line-up as I write here. The safety car is....an SLK!!

F1 fan? Is there other motor sports?

cheers
roadsta

·
Registered
06 M5, 07 RS4, 07 ML63
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

roadsta,

yep, watching it Live on TV too... and it looks like an SLK55 flanked by an M5 or 5-series... possibly the medical car? Interesting.

·
Registered
2004 SL600 Renntech ECU/TCU Upgrade...many other mods
238 Posts

Today was a good day to drop the top...unfortunately the only top dropping I was doing was droping the top of my diet coke bottle inthe trash. The 55 went in the service shop after 270 miles. Squeaking and rattling suspension sounds, and brake squeal that was to noisy to be normal. Oh well, hopefully it's nothing major. The only good thing is I'll be out of town for the entire week anyway, so they might as well take their time a make sure they find the problem.

Have a few good top down sessions for me.[xx(]

·
Registered
2005 SLK350 2011 GLK3504X 2006 ML350(selling when GLK arrives)
1,940 Posts

jmejones

Sorry to hear about your problems...I only have a 350, but washed it today and after many rainy days, we have the next 15 day forcast without rain, so rest assured, I will have some California top down driving for you...6,700 miles and counting...[:D][:eek:)][:D]

·
Registered
E55 AMG
359 Posts

F1 safety car is CLS55 AMG nad BMW M6, and you can also see SLK55 AMG, C55 AMG T and BMW6... (on pitstop..)

What do you think about new regulations in F1? [:)]

·
Registered
06 M5, 07 RS4, 07 ML63
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I had mixed feelings about the rule changes for this year at first, especially the one set of tires for the whole race thing. But it's all for the better to potentially bring fierce competition back to F1 instead of any one team becoming dominant. The changes should allow for more passing opportunities although it didn't happen much in Albert park since it's a tough course to pass on no to mention Fisichella was pretty dialed in from start to finish. Once all the drivers and teams get the hang of their new cars and further tune the chassis, it's going to be a heated battle for the championship. I'm glad to see both McLaren Mercedes cars actually finishing a race together and both in the points standing. Looking forward to Malaysia.

·
Registered
SLK350
365 Posts

Gatecrash - 3/7/2005 10:37 PM

F1 safety car is CLS55 AMG nad BMW M6, and you can also see SLK55 AMG, C55 AMG T and BMW6... (on pitstop..)
No way, at Albert park the safety car was an slk, unless I am losing my mind...

The rule changes, controversial as they are, are delivering some new tactics and behaviour. Do you think Schumi's car was so badly damaged after his (self-inflicted) mishap with Heidfeld that he could not continue?

No...his chances of making the top 8 was so slim that they decided to spare the engine for Sepang.

cheers
roadsta

·
Registered
06 M5, 07 RS4, 07 ML63
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

roadsta - 3/7/2005 4:33 AM

The rule changes, controversial as they are, are delivering some new tactics and behaviour. Do you think Schumi's car was so badly damaged after his (self-inflicted) mishap with Heidfeld that he could not continue?

No...his chances of making the top 8 was so slim that they decided to spare the engine for Sepang.

cheers
roadsta
Nevermind sparing the engine... I thought Ferrari actually retired the car intentionally so that they would get a new engine at Sepang. Pretty wiley of Team Scuderia to do that. It seems that the new rules state that retirement of a car doesn't have to mean that the engine is shot.... could be something else but in the end, since it was officially a "retirement" by Schumacher's car, he gets a new car and engine for Sepang. At least that's the way the commentators from Speed channel here in the US called it.

·
Registered
SLK350
365 Posts

masmole - 3/9/2005 1:58 PM

Nevermind sparing the engine... I thought Ferrari actually retired the car intentionally so that they would get a new engine at Sepang. Pretty wiley of Team Scuderia to do that. It seems that the new rules state that retirement of a car doesn't have to mean that the engine is shot.... could be something else but in the end, since it was officially a "retirement" by Schumacher's car, he gets a new car and engine for Sepang. At least that's the way the commentators from Speed channel here in the US called it.
Masmole

You are spot on. I did not focus on that rule. You may have heard that BAR purposely 'retired' both their cars on the last lap when it was clear that they are not in the points, for this very reason. Nothing wrong with the cars. They were quite open about it too. I can't imagine the F1 boys are going to put up with that for long.

cheers
roadsta

1 - 16 of 16 Posts