Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1975 450SL
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Actually, it will probably be something along the line of "OH Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii.......

Explanation and pics tomorrow, if I survive.

Why do they call this thing a flying eggbeater???

Seriously,
If they have to drag my myocardially infarcted ass out of the big ditch, It's been an honor and privilege knowing all you guys.

Scott

·
Forum Administrator , RC Colas® & Moon Pies®
1981 380SL 151K: 2005 S500 116K
39,250 Posts
I'm afraid of cardboard. It is an implacable and tireless foe. I deal with it on a daily basis. We do what we must.

Best wishes.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,509 Posts

·
Registered
'80 450SLC Afro RHD Ikonengold
2,900 Posts
"There's only 3 things that I' afraid of: Electricity, Hights and... Women.
And I am married"

The last one is the deadliest one, it does not kill you instantly like other two things. ;)

·
Premium Member
1973 450SL 2004 E320 4Matic Wagon 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee
3,197 Posts
Actually, it will probably be something along the line of "OH Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii.......

Explanation and pics tomorrow, if I survive.

Why do they call this thing a flying eggbeater???

Seriously,
If they have to drag my myocardially infarcted ass out of the big ditch, It's been an honor and privilege knowing all you guys.

Scott
You getting married???

·
Registered
82 380SL 96 SL500 03 SL500
6,164 Posts
I'm sure your family would be happy to put

My last thoughts were of the SL

on your tombstone. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1975 450SL
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I survived!!!!!

The radios I work on are point-to-point microwave systems, for a large telecomm company.

Today, I had to work on the system from the South Rim of The Grand Canyon to Phantom Ranch, inside the Canyon.

The job entailed a helicopter flight down to a helipad next to the Colorado River, then Hiking 100+ lbs of test equipment a mile to the site in a wheelbarrow. Work on the equipment, then return to the pad and take the flight out.

Simple, yes? Then the details get in the way. I'm waaaaaay out of shape. (that is going to be worked on, PROMPTLY) Trying to get my overweight body inside the largest flight suit they had was 'entertaining'. Just not for me. Then there was the safety briefing and the "What to do in case of a hard landing" speech.

After squeezing myself into the bird, we take off for a beautifully smooth and scenic ride about 2 miles away AND about a mile straight DOWN. Impressive, to say the least.

Then we get a wheelbarrow from the mule barn, load up the test equipment, and hike to the site. It's freezing up on top, but pleasantly comfortable down on the river. The hike to the Phantom Ranch Canteen was gorgeous. The leaves are turning, and the colors are fantastic. I filled up 2 memory cards in my camera. OK, they're small cards, but I shot the living daylights out of everything.

Did the Tourist ' send out a few postcards stamped "Delivered By Mule Mail" ' thing, just because. They were nice postcards.

Had to wait at the helipad for an hour, because a guy from Australia stepped on a rock that rolled out from under him and caused him to fall, breaking his ankle. That's the breaks. He gets first priority on the next flight out, no argument from me, no problem.

The chopper comes back fo rus, and another beautiful, smooth ride back to the base.

The only problem being the card filling up 2 shots into the return trip, so I couldn't get any pics of the walls. WOW, what a trip!!!!

Pics to follow when I get to a computer with decent internet connection.

One of the hazards the helicopter guy have is the occasional elk wandering through the landing zone. I just got a shot of two bulls right outside the window of the office here from less than 20 feet away on my cell phone, When I figure out how to get those off the phone, I'll post them, too.

I'm going to sleep like a rock tonight.

Scott

·
Premium Member
Audi A8, Land Rover
276 Posts
Sounds like a day full of challenges and rewards! My kinda day! :)

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,509 Posts
I survived!!!!!

The radios I work on are point-to-point microwave systems, for a large telecomm company.

Today, I had to work on the system from the South Rim of The Grand Canyon to Phantom Ranch, inside the Canyon.

The job entailed a helicopter flight down to a helipad next to the Colorado River, then Hiking 100+ lbs of test equipment a mile to the site in a wheelbarrow. Work on the equipment, then return to the pad and take the flight out.

Simple, yes? Then the details get in the way. I'm waaaaaay out of shape. (that is going to be worked on, PROMPTLY) Trying to get my overweight body inside the largest flight suit they had was 'entertaining'. Just not for me. Then there was the safety briefing and the "What to do in case of a hard landing" speech.

After squeezing myself into the bird, we take off for a beautifully smooth and scenic ride about 2 miles away AND about a mile straight DOWN. Impressive, to say the least.

Then we get a wheelbarrow from the mule barn, load up the test equipment, and hike to the site. It's freezing up on top, but pleasantly comfortable down on the river. The hike to the Phantom Ranch Canteen was gorgeous. The leaves are turning, and the colors are fantastic. I filled up 2 memory cards in my camera. OK, they're small cards, but I shot the living daylights out of everything.

Did the Tourist ' send out a few postcards stamped "Delivered By Mule Mail" ' thing, just because. They were nice postcards.

Had to wait at the helipad for an hour, because a guy from Australia stepped on a rock that rolled out from under him and caused him to fall, breaking his ankle. That's the breaks. He gets first priority on the next flight out, no argument from me, no problem.

The chopper comes back fo rus, and another beautiful, smooth ride back to the base.

The only problem being the card filling up 2 shots into the return trip, so I couldn't get any pics of the walls. WOW, what a trip!!!!

Pics to follow when I get to a computer with decent internet connection.

One of the hazards the helicopter guy have is the occasional elk wandering through the landing zone. I just got a shot of two bulls right outside the window of the office here from less than 20 feet away on my cell phone, When I figure out how to get those off the phone, I'll post them, too.

I'm going to sleep like a rock tonight.

Scott
Sounds like it was fun!

And you got PAID!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Nice. I've done several backpacking trips in the Grand Canyon, but a chopper ride would definitely be a unique way to experience it. Just imagine, though, having to hike out of the canyon after lugging 40 lbs of gear around on your back for 4 days. That's the worst part.

·
Premium Member
1975 450SL
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As promised, photos.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1975 450SL
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
More photos

The one in the last batch with the snapped-off power pole wasn't supposed to be there.

Attachments

·
One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
1997 SL500- 40th Anniversary
7,166 Posts
Great pics...
Reminds me of my younger geological days. I had to re-survey 14 mining claims in the Kit Carson Natl Forest. The person responsible for filing the renewal, missed the deadline. After 12 days in the field, I told the pres of my company that I felt like I should have paid them.

Stood in ankle-deep snow in June! Fished for trout in the neatest canyon not too far from Angel Fire.

Thanks for sharing the pics...

·
Premium Member
1975 450SL
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The little building with the flyswatter looking thing on top is my site. The wheelbarrow with the boxes is the test equipment. The guy on the right was Robby, my 'guide' since this was my first trip in to the site. All references to the last set of photos.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1975 450SL
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The South Rim of the Canyon is around 6000 feet, the North Rim is around 7500 feet, and Phantom Ranch is around 2400 feet (Above Sea Level). You can be freezing your butt off on the rim, but roast down at the river.

There is a line from a book about the Canyon: "The best way to condition yourself for a hike in the Canyon during the summer is to work as a roofer in Phoenix."

It turns out the guy that got evacuated was the team Doctor for an Australian Rules Football team. Originally, the team wanted to just borrow a litter from the Forest Ranger, and haul him out themselves, for fun, but the Ranger talked them out of that. There were reputedly about 40 HUGE professional athletes involved, they sort of thought of it as part of the adventure.

The team did haul the Doc to the helipad for the Rangers, though. Usually, it's three or four rangers, and they have to put the wheels on the basket to transport people. The Ranger said it was the easiest transfer she'd ever had, with the patient being a Doctor, and the Athletes doing the carrying.

With people carrying the litter, the ride for the patient would be very smooth, and with that many carriers, no one would get tired. A real benefit for the whole process of getting the guy up to the clinic quickly and little chance of further injury.

On the whole, a really great day at work. Fun, even.:eek:

Scott

1 - 20 of 24 Posts