Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2000 ML320
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, sorry to beat this topic to death- but I thought I would give all events leading up to the BAS/ESP light come on.

I went for service A yesterday, before my 800KM trip. Everything checked out and I got a nice surprise with better response in my throttle and steering! he added some additive to my fuel and changed my passenger side brake bulb.

I'm driving without problem in the constant rain at a decent clip for about 720 kilometers, 80 from my destination. Throughout the trip i've been fueling up on half tanks with premium fuels- each degrading by one as I progress further into the prairies (92, 91, 90). The engine is running fine and the steering is swell in the rain, braking works like a charm and I'm on my way. Cruise is helping me out, and I couldn't be happier.

Then, like christmas morning- i'm illuminated by the BAS/ESP light without warning. My heart palpitates and sinks, i'm boned. The brake pedal is a little stiffer, but has been since my service (which I quite enjoy). The entire drive my steering wheel is slightly turned to stay on the road, from gail force prairie winds bearing down on me.

I park at my destination without problem, cry a little inside and restart the car. the light is magically gone! Exuberant, i unload my luggage and have a victory cigarette. Taking a gander at my lovely vehicle I notice a mark! exactly above the passenger brake light, the black soot worries me and I light another cigarette. I have not tested the lights yet, but I will in the morning.

Which leads me here, stuck 800KM away from home and the ghost of my future bank account balance hovering over my head. The gas jockey fiddled with my cap, and i assume was secured well- because no check engine lights arrived.

If anyone has any ideas, maybe brake position sensor, steering wheel expensamabob, or leaking washer fluid (which will also be checked in the morning) please speak up!

·
Outstanding Contributor
2006 ML500 2002 ML320
17,576 Posts
First check that all three brake lights are working. Then re-check the bulb that was installed in the right rear stop light. It should be a quality bulb (Osram or Sylvania).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts