Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had one heck of a time with my 1996 E320 US Version. I got it for highway use as I have owned a W210 in the past, and currently an older AMG. It always had a minor idle issue. OEM Codes came up for a MAF sensor, even though it had just undergone a major Mercedes Tune-Up and that was just replaced. It ran fine for a year, with minor idle issues causing it to end up idling so low it died on me a few times. Got a new recommended here battery and it ran my 300+ mile trips 2x/month for a while. In the summer it just plain went into limp mode, I only got it off the streets by disconnecting the battery and doing the quick reset. The only codes I got were for "Purge Valve" and after posting on a forum, someone told me it was actually the "canister"? The problem subsided when I turned off the a/c but I still took it into a well-rated shop in a major city. They told me it only needed new plugs, they suggested wires and one coil.

I got it back home but it never went far since. I kept getting the security "christmas lights" on the rearview mirror that would just sporadically come and go even after replacing key battery, ring, equiv to the K40 relay, etc. It sat for a while and I replaced all the plugs, wires, coils, and noticed a vacuum line that was replaced as well. We replaced the fuel filter and pump, but the lines coming from the Purge Valve looked fine! I ordered a Purge Valve that was said to be compatible with my 1996, but it is the one with the M104 iirc 24v I6 and figured they got it incorrect. I need to strart driving this car and am in a remote place. It takes a week if I am lucky to get parts in, and that is hoping they are correct.

I also have a question with the wiring, I would like to get it connected the right way if compatible. Here is a pic:

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
2,230 Posts
Sky Dee,

It shows that the replacement part # is A0004702293

The one you show is not correct.

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG
3,544 Posts
How would you plug it in?

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG
3,544 Posts
I mean, that's your clue that the purge solenoid most likely operates differently from old design to new design.

Just wait for the correct part to come in.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I mean, that's your clue that the purge solenoid most likely operates differently from old design to new design.

Just wait for the correct part to come in.
Really the only answer thanks! I will search for a diy cleaning of the valve in the meantime, I just haven't found much yet with the only known nomenclature about the part I have (purge valve/vacuum valve). Hopefully I will be able to add to the forum enough to sell the relay and purge valve, I would imagine it's worth more than what I ordered (past return date).

·
Premium Member
1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
6,214 Posts
Really the only answer thanks! I will search for a diy cleaning of the valve in the meantime, I just haven't found much yet with the only known nomenclature about the part I have (purge valve/vacuum valve). Hopefully I will be able to add to the forum enough to sell the relay and purge valve, I would imagine it's worth more than what I ordered (past return date).
What is the problem ? and why do you think the purge valve in the car you have is bad ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
  1. What is the problem ? and why do you think the purge valve in the car you have is bad ?
    I listed some of the things I went through with the car, but the OBDII reader always gave code for bad Purge Valve. It wasn't until after I had replaced all the plugs, wires, checked vacuum tubes (one was bad), coils, fuel filter and fuel pump with the problem still persisting. The shop owner (who has 2 Mercedes himself parked at the shop) came over and when I told him the symptoms of idle jumping until warm, and no or hesitated/sputtering under acceleration, said that since it was having the idle issues until warm it was "that's uh...hmm... on those engines I think it's called a Purge Valve or Purge Solenoid". Same thing as OBDII codes reported and I also replaced all the relays, security (ews?), MAF and new battery. Can't think of anything else.

·
Premium Member
1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
6,214 Posts
What was the code ? If it is P0443 alone , then it is the purge valve. If it is some other code like P0440 and P0441, it is the purge contrrol flow..

Electrically you can check the resistance, and if you have a multimeter, you can measure the current through it when 12V is applied. It should be between 0.3 amps and 0.5 amps. If it is electrically fine, you can clean it with MAF Cleaner or even Carb Cleaner by spraying inside the ports, and let them dry.

When it is working, it clicks like periodically for a few minutes during a start-up to let the engine suck the fuel fumes in the gas tank.

You can check if the problem is the purge valve. After removal of the purge valve, you can plug up the vacuum lines going to the canister and the engine intake, and see if it improves the idle. The plugging of the line to the intake will eliminate vacuum leak issues in the EVAP line, if any. Do not assume that the Purge valve is bad.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts