Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1989 300SE
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought 85 300TD has been great BUT......the money the money! Fuel Line replace $380, muffler $290, brakes $1100, 1 tie rod and two ball joints $ 1150 !
Am I getting ripped off and over charged or what, not to sound like a blonde! Now to check valve clearences and tune up they say $450. Also says impossible to get R12 to charge a/c that it's not worth it, is this true? Any tips advice suggestions appreciate. Runs fine but am thinking of selling wondering what next I'll be replacing next. What would be fair to ask it's almost perfect shape, no rust etc Thanks.

·
Registered
1988 300TE, 1995 Audi 90quattro Sport
103 Posts
IMHO, YES you are being overcharged! Buy the parts yourself from one of the many good af...

IMHO, YES you are being overcharged! Buy the parts yourself from one of the many good aftermarket vendors, and have someone do the work, or learn how to work on the car yourself and save LOTS of $$$. The prices you quoted seem horribly inflated. Maybe the shop is using factory Benz parts, and that is the reason for the $$$, but IMHO MB parts are not necessary. Many of the parts obtainable through aftermarket vendors are the same companies MB uses, and are mostly German. As long as its German, who cares if its got that star on it, as long as its saving you $.

·
Registered
84 230CE & 84 300DT
324 Posts
I would certainly agree that you were RIPPED OFF. Even with the MB brand parts it should h...

I would certainly agree that you were RIPPED OFF. Even with the MB brand parts it should have not have cost so much to do the brakes or the suspension parts you mentioned. The brakes, ball joints, and tie rods don't involve much shop time either. The brakes are very easy to do.
Buy the tools for the valve adjustment and do it yourself. They are available from samstagsales.com for about $80 with shipping and handling. There is not much you can tune up on a diesel except to check injectors and the injection pump timing. The injection pump timing rarely goes out of spec. If it's running good, it's safe to assume the injectors are fine.
Benzes are fairly easy to work on with most of the common tools.

·
Registered
Mercedes Diesels
145 Posts
Get the factory CD about $100. Then start doing your own repairs trying more and more comp...

Get the factory CD about $100. Then start doing your own repairs trying more and more complicated things.
Join local MBCA, good organization, but not active chapters everywhere. Get some pals who turn Mercedes wrenches. Go to pick and pulls, buy from online vendors. I have 11 Mercedes in my collection, they can be simple and cheap to buy parts for. The whole car is less complicated then a good novel. Post questions such as "How do I do a brake job" on forums.
Haynes also has a good 123 diesel manual for under $20
There are alot of tricks to keep cars in good running order. I always find there are people who know more then I do about different situations, so I ask.

John Gregg

·
Registered
84 230CE & 84 300DT
324 Posts
You can get the CD for about half price or better on eBay but the pictures are not very go...

You can get the CD for about half price or better on eBay but the pictures are not very good and they don't print out well even on the best printers. You might be able to find the printed factory manual somewhere for about $100. The Haynes manual will only show the basics and it leaves out a lot of things. Maybe it's good enough for doing the basics.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.