Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
E550W4
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since my primary car was always an air cooled Volkswagen, there weren't many items to service in order to improve fuel economy but with the 400E this isn't true.

Aside from having your tires "properly inflated" and not driving with the A/C on or WOT constantly what else can be done?

I've changed one of the distributor caps and rotors, change the engine oil, changed the spark plugs.

Anything else anybody can think of? I'm not trying to turn my car into a Prius, just curious.

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,367 Posts
Best way to get top MPG to is to keep momentum going.

That means avoid braking at all costs and anticipate when you'll need to brake for the smallest duration.

In other words, brake late and brake hard. ABS works best under those conditions.

Other than that, regular fluid changes and tune-ups.

·
Registered
1999 E320 Sedan
494 Posts
One idea would be to renew the differential fluid, depending on when that was last done. I changed it on my W210 a few weeks ago and got the impression that it slightly improved fuel consumption (perhaps around 0.5-1 mpg), although it's too early to tell for sure. I wouldn't be surprised, though, because the old fluid, which had been in there for at least 60k miles and perhaps even longer, was pretty dark and looked clearly more viscous than the new one. Before I refilled the differential, I flushed it with half a quart of new fluid to get it as clean as possible. I used Mobil 1 75w-90, by the way.

·
Registered
MB W124 - 250 D - 1988 + W124/S124 Kombi 250TD-1992-527k kms = 327kmiles + W210-200E-2000-200kkm
42 Posts
Hello you ! In order to improve your ratio " km/l ", don't forget to change the air filter and the oil filter on time when doing the regular maintenance or at least once a year if you don't drive the normal distance every year between two maintenances periods according to the instructions of the maker of the car .

This could be each 5.000 or 7.500 or 10.000 kms or miles intervals that you have driven with your car .

Get also the right pressure in the tires check it and ajust it once a month too !

Don't push the car too high in the rpm each time you start driving it : wait till the engine has reached the normal temperature before speeding up !

That will save you some petrol each year for sure ! :thumbsup: Enjoy your driving ! :)

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
What viscosity engine oil are you using? A thinner, synthetic oil might help improve MPG.

Replace the tires with ones with less rolling resistance. You won't get much unless you keep changing parts, which by your vague definition may or may not be "servicing".

Remove unnecessary weight.

·
Cruise Control
'87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
52,233 Posts
Try swapping in a Cadillac 4-6-8 module

1 - 8 of 8 Posts