Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2003 SL55
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Long time since I have posted. I hope all are well.

I was thinking lately about a simple way to increase the SLK dashboard aesthetic contrast. It has a great sensual shape, but color wise, it is all black & grey. Given that my interior has the red seats, and given that my previous SLK (a 230) with the beige interior had some dashboard tones, it seemed that the SLK280 dashboard could use some red color too.

Using simple 1/8” red pin striping (the only red I could find: not exactly the right tint...), I did the outside of the console, adding a touch of red to the otherwise black surface. It is a continous line, adding an interesting highlight to the curvaceous design of console. Easily removable, just for fun.

What do you think?

Daniel

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
1,614 Posts
Sorry. It doesn't work for me. The striping draws too much attention to itself. I like the dash the way it is. Very understated, like a true sports car. I know some prefer the wood accents, but those make the interior look too much like the SC430. I vote to leave it the way it is.

·
Registered
2009 SLK 55 AMG
966 Posts
do you have a close-up of it?

·
Registered
2003 SL55
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
New pictures

Guys,

Here are other angles and close ups. One thing that doesn't work is the glossy finish of the stripe, but I still like the accent it provides. Yes it is a bit loud, but so beautiful curves!

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
1,614 Posts
I think the thing that bothers me aesthetically is that the accent stripe runs perpendicular to the rest of the dash, essentially visibly cutting it in half. If the accents were around a few of the horizontal pieces like the brushed chrome accents, cupholder, etc., it would be a little more subtle, flow a little bit better to the eye, and wouldn't "jump out" at you as much. You'd still get some interesting shapes with rounded corners and different sizes, which, I think you were trying to achieve. JMHO.

·
Registered
2008 SLK 280
22 Posts
[cliché]Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.[/cliché]

Personally, I don't like any contrast in the interior... even red seats don't work for me. All black and silver interiors in a roadster suits my taste. But I like to see folks get creative and will never put down another man's perception. Very creative, and I see where it will be attractive to some and an eyesore to others.

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
I think it looks nice, although a little loud. You can get the SLK special ordered with leather interior, in which they may use pinstriping in the alternative color of the interior, to highlight those very curves in these pictures. mbslk.de has pics of it.

·
Registered
06' SLK350
2,315 Posts
Maybe if the strips are a little bit thinner, it draws way too much attention to it, it has potential to look good, just not in it's current state.

·
Premium Member
SLK55 (2006) C36 (1995)
3,288 Posts
I think it looks great! Thinner pin striping, and Matte finish would really finish it off. I don't like the idea of having vinyl adhesive all over the interior though.

·
Registered
Volvo 940GLE, GMC Suburban, Infiniti I30, Toyota Prius, VW GTI, MB SLK350, Lexus IS250
1,063 Posts
Do you get any reflections in the windshield?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts