Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the dealer ship talking to the tech and parts guy about the irksome braking problem inherent to the ML 320's, that of the amount of foot pedal travel to reach decent braking power. Previously I had changed out rotors, pads and brake hoses in my wife's '99 ML 320 only to find no improved results. Parts OEM from local dealer. I have learned that there is a new part no. superceding the original no. for the master cyl. and wondering if anyone can comment that this may be an improvment to the original design.

·
Registered
2000 ML430 SOLD, 2007 BMW 328i Coupe, 2014 BMW i3
2,982 Posts
I don't think it is a problem as much as a characteristic. (Assuming there is not an actual malfunction in your system.) You may just have to get used to it, sort of like getting used to sensitive brakes on other cars.

·
Registered
2002 ML320
1,951 Posts
I too just noticed this after purchasing my ML320... there is a lot of travel in the pedal... unlike my C230 where the brakes are RIGHT THERE... My 300CE was the same way with the pedal travel.

The other thing I notice is the amount of resistance the gas pedal has, again, reminds me of the 300CE... got in the C230 this morning after driving the ML last night and launched my self due to pressing the gas pedal "too hard"

It's just one of those things, like boca said, "characteristic" :)

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
My experience...

On the 320/350, a lot of owner's "fuget about it" on the rear pads/rotors - when all 4 whhels, including the rear's, are fresh then pedal feel is dramatically improved.

The ML system uses soft pads on soft iron - that was the intention - going to a harder pad, or going to a more grabby rotors (like slotted) or doing can change feel.

I run both hard pads and plated/slotted rotors on my ML's..but that is my choice..it's definitely not a mushy feel on my ML's, but sometimes feels like chalk sreaching across the chlak board ...not the noise, no noise, but hard surface feel..

Keep the beat !

·
Registered
2002 ML 500, 1994 Ford Explorer donated to Doctors without Borders
2,126 Posts
I have always believed that you get used to what you drive. You are probably sensing this because you drive more than one car on a regular basis. If you only drive the ML, you will cease noticing any of this, until there is a change in feel.

It may just be what you have to get used to. It's a heavier vehicle than your C230.

·
Registered
2002 ML320
1,951 Posts
Oh no I am a firm believer in that... and I know that they are going to be very different cars... I don't have a problem with it... it was just an observation...

My Silverado and C230 are about the same with pedal sensitivity.

·
Registered
2000 ML430 SOLD, 2007 BMW 328i Coupe, 2014 BMW i3
2,982 Posts
First time I drove the Infiniti G35, I almost put myself through the windshield (no, not literally) because I applied "ML" pressure when that car has very sensitive brakes. This goes under the same category as remembering to hold the starter on other brands of cars too.

·
Premium Member
2006 E55: 1999 ML430; 2002 E430 4matic; 1988 190E 2.3; 1993 XL883
301 Posts
I have always believed that you get used to what you drive. You are probably sensing this because you drive more than one car on a regular basis. If you only drive the ML, you will cease noticing any of this, until there is a change in feel.

It may just be what you have to get used to. It's a heavier vehicle than your C230.
Also, I don't do much off road driving, but it seems like the softer pedal would give you more control with a rough terrain as opposed to a sensitive pedal. For a sports car on the road, you want a tighter more sensitive pedal.

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,502 Posts
About the new master cylinder: I had mine (05 500) replaced last summer because the codes said so though braking performance was fine. I don't know if it was the most updated MS they used, but I'd think so. Well, the braking performance didn't change after the work, the lights, however, have never come back.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts