Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
CL500
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During the week I took delivery of my 2003 model CL600 Bi turbo with 40,000miles on the clock, and sold my 2000 model CL500.

My first impressions of the two cars are as follows:

The speed and power of the CL600 is just absolutely astonishing and is in a different class compared to the CL500. The facelifted interior of the 2003 model with its soft plush leather interior and upgraded SAT NAV also impressed me.

The ride of the CL600 however feels a lot stiffer compared to the CL500. The engine of the CL600 is also audible in the cabin - the CL500 cabin is dead quiet. The CL600 engine has a sligth roughness to it, but only during initial pull-away between 0 and 5 km/h - I assume this is when the turbo kicks in (I have a steep driveway and when slowly pulling off on a steep incline this is ecspecailly noticable).

Any views on the accuracy of my first impressions are appreciated.

·
Registered
1970 w109 6.3, 2014 ML350 (petrol) AMG kitted, 2004 Vito 115 crewbus, 2003 CL600 V12 bi-turbo
403 Posts
Glad you posted this as I have a CL600 TT (2003) and it too is quite noisy when taking off initially, with a slight wurring noise as you drive along (not obtrusive at all). The trouble is, these cars are as rear as rocking horse shit and there is not another one to compare it with - so I do not know if this is normal. The motor seems to run perfectly.
Would really appreciate any comments as to how much noise (if any) there is from a post 2003 CL600TT engine.
I would hardly expect a 'super car' with a V12 and two turbos to be silent,

·
Registered
CL500, E430, SLK, Subaru...
648 Posts
I would associate the whirr with the transmission; my facelift CL with 7Gtronic definitely makes a range of noises at low road speeds which are swept away as the car goes faster.

Thing is; I'm not sure the 600 biturbo uses the 7-speeder.

·
Registered
1970 w109 6.3, 2014 ML350 (petrol) AMG kitted, 2004 Vito 115 crewbus, 2003 CL600 V12 bi-turbo
403 Posts
Thanks for that Steve - yes the noises I hear sound like gearbox noises as well, and disappear as the cars goes faster. The 2003 uses the older/stronger AMG five speed as the earlier 7G could not take the torque put out by the V12.

·
Registered
2005 CL600, 2008 E350
17 Posts
Well, to answer the noise question, your V12 turbo kick in at about 1800 to 2700 rpm this is when your 580 ft lb of torque first appear,this is also when you hear that high pitch sound because turbo whistle when they spool, this is the kick you are talking about. The noise you are hearing when you first step on the gas is the sound of your V12 sucking in air, and starting to come to life. It is a very loud engine, I personally have a open exhaust dump on my car to release the back up pressure from the turbos, you can hear my car from miles away when it's quite outside. So, don't worry ^.^ sorry about my spelling.

·
Registered
2003 CL600
91 Posts
I've noticed this too and wondered. The engine doesn't rumble, like a normal car. The only noise is a higher pitched, whirring. Kind of like the sound an electric golf cart makes.

·
Registered
31 Posts
What exactly do mean with "exhaust dump"? are you talking about a valve you can switch on and off? Could you please provide details? I have a 2005 CL600 also and would love to have more "sound" Thanks a lot,

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
The 500 is a nice car and the 600 TT is a bullet. And all the 600's are noisey and make a wirring sound even in the S Class.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well, to answer the noise question, your V12 turbo kick in at about 1800 to 2700 rpm this is when your 580 ft lb of torque first appear,this is also when you hear that high pitch sound because turbo whistle when they spool, this is the kick you are talking about. The noise you are hearing when you first step on the gas is the sound of your V12 sucking in air, and starting to come to life. It is a very loud engine, I personally have a open exhaust dump on my car to release the back up pressure from the turbos, you can hear my car from miles away when it's quite outside. So, don't worry ^.^ sorry about my spelling.
What exactly do mean with "exhaust dump"? are you talking about a valve you can switch on and off? Could you please provide details? I have a 2005 CL600 also and would love to have more "sound" Thanks a lot,

·
52,804 Posts
He means he has removed the waste gate pipe from his Turbo units and like this you can hear the turbo pressure being released when you let off the throttle pedal. I just had to fix one car where the pipe had come off and it is quite loud.

·
52,804 Posts
Here is a pic of the turbo system and it shows the wastegate. Click to enlarge.

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 CL600, 2008 E350
17 Posts
Well to be exact, I changed the pipeing form after the Cat converter, because from the factory it is 2 2.5" pipe running together then forming a H pipe that then splits into a Y shaped into the mufflers and out the tips.

I changed the pipeing into a 3.0" for more airflow, the H pipe into a X pipe and then a the dump ( its just a open pipe that spurs off the main exhauste to releave back pressure ) and then to the mufflers and out the tips.

I'll post some pictures and sound files up once I can get my car lifted again. its very easy and no warning lights come on. but it does sound nice.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts