Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1988 300TE, 1973 350SLC
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, I know, but it's a rust-free California car, and I'm rather fond of it. My dilemma is, I am preparing the car for vehicle registration inspection, and I have to replace the headlamps, which is not a challenge, but my model 300TE has the headlamp wipers. When comparing to my host's 1989 260E, which has the headlamp wipers, it appears the holes for the wiper motor shafts come out in a different location in the faceplates. My question is, if I have to replace the faceplates (do I?) and the armatures and blades, do I also have to replace the wiper motor, itself? Any help with this will be greatly appreciated. Danke.

GDH

·
Registered
W124.036 / W210.074
248 Posts
Dont saw that you edit the first Topic.... :-D
Do you been at the "TÜV" or Dekra Center at Frankfurt ? Maybe they can give you infos if its alowed here or not..?!

Or Simply buy one cheap good conditioned one here at Germany......

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,116 Posts
Yes, you have to replace the motors.

They rotate different directions and through different arc.

They are same as USA '94-'95 W124 motors.

·
Registered
1988 300TE, 1973 350SLC
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kent,

Thank you for the informative reply. I had a feeling the sweep would be different, just from looking at the armatures. That said, is this a simple swap of just exchanging the motors, headlamps, armatures and blades? Or, are do I have to alter the holders for the wiper motors, and perform other feats of magic? I believe the headlamps, which are a complete unit, will slip right in place. I am leaving the coloured turn signal lenses in place, as I do like them better, and I was told they would be okay.

Thank you, again, for your help. It is greatly appreciated.

GDH

·
Registered
1988 300TE, 1973 350SLC
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have not taken the car to them, as yet, because I would have to trailer it, to do so. As for buying one here, I like all the options that the USA models have, and I have not seen one in my colour, with all of the options, here, in Germany. I have also not seen a rust-free 1988 wagon, yet. They seem very rare. Thank you for your reply.

·
Registered
1994 Mercedes E320
150 Posts
rust free is rare, wow, i guess californians are lucky. have you tried switching the motors, left to right and right to left. they sweep the opposite way so it could work. worth a shot instead of buying new motors.

·
Registered
1988 300TE, 1973 350SLC
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Yes, we are VERY lucky, when it comes to the rust factor. I have wanted this car, in this colour, ever since I bought my new 300E, in 1989. I bought this one, two years ago, and put less than 3000 miles on it, before replacing brakes, calipers, rotors, air conditioning unit, rear window seal, side window seals, rear lid gasket, and a few other things. The colour is rare, and after investing a wee bit of money it seemed smart to keep it. (Of course, that was before I spent another 4000 USD importing the car to Germany, with my 1972 280SE 4.5. There's no fool like an old fool.) I am spoiled by rust-free cars, and I would like a 560SEL, within a year or so, so I may buy it in California, as well. Neither will be driven in the winter months, here. They will last longer, that way, I think. I will drive some old thing for the winter, and garage the good cars. Cal Poly? Good school.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts