Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just brought in the car from Florida and after all the horror stories I've heard, I was expecting a real reaming from MB Canada.

Instead, I had the most amazing conversation with the local MB service advisor (Paraphrasing):

Her: So your importing a 2001 E320?
Me: Yes.
Her: So, you can change the lights to DRLs and make sure you have the child seat anchors - on your own.
Me: Excuse me?

Apparently, since the car is out of warranty, the dealership has lost interest in screwing with it. Without the bumper requirements its now trivial.

As long as I hit those two requirements, Crappy tire will just issue the form 2.
Note that when I crossed the border, the woman had been "off for a while" so the recall letter was never asked for, and she had to call me later at home to admit that I hadn't actually been charged for duty. I did better than the idiot next to me trying to import a truck with no bill of sale that had been previously siezed... So YMMV. My experience, if it can be geeralized at all, is for out of warranty vehicles.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What I have is a letter from MBca saying it CAN meet Canadian requirements. I'm assuming that with the bumper harmonization rules, that once I get my form 2, all Crappy tire will look at is child seat tethers, Daytime running lights and "Miles" on the speedo and odo (Like they did for my 00 BMW). We'll see. I'm starting to worry that the form 2 hasn't arrived yet...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Please keep us posted. I hope it works out for you. I was told by MB Canada by letter last summer that I could not import a W210 from the US due to the bumper's, DRL's and child tethers. That vehicle was an E55, so maybe there is some difference than the E320, but I doubt that. I didn't bother fighting with it, just settled for a CDN car, although I'd rather something from the south that wasn't driven in snow/salt.

Give the RIV from Transport Canada approx. 4-6 weeks to arrive. You have the permission to drive the car with the gold RIV paperwork. You should only have been charged GST on that vehicle at the port of entry. The PST will be collected when you register in Ontario.

Good luck.

Rob
Windsor, ON

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had looked extensively at importing a VW Phaeton, but decided the effort wasn't worth it. However, when I saw one locally, I test drove it but didn't buy it. Instead, I bought the E55 sitting next to it on the lot.

Imagine my surprise when I picked up my new family car and went to put a child seat in the back for the ride home from the dealer. I hadn't checked beforehand, only assumed, but there were no lower latch points in the rear seat for easy installation. I thought they were required on all Canadian cars sold after 1999 or so. My 2000 Golf has them. So I waited until later to install the car seats, 2 of them, using the inferior and frustrating belt fastening setup instead. Needless to say, when the seats are installed, they don't come out until the kid outgrows it.

Tim

·
Registered
69 Posts
I tried the import route a few years back in search of my W210. If you go to the Transport Canada website, search "import a vehicle from the U.S." and follow the prompts, you will get to a .pdf file that lists all admissible vehicles by manufacture's name. This list changes all the time. Last I looked, under Mercedes, it simply stated "contact Benz dealer". So I did and they wanted me to do the same work as my neighbour in Waterloo, the costly bumper work....at which piont I gave up, so good on ya, doug! I doubt that there is any difference in the bumpers of two brand-new E class units rolling off the line in Stuttgart, one going to Windsor and the other to Detroit, other than perhaps a few grams of styrofoam here and there for filler. Sounds like Doug get a dealer with more common sense than greed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts