Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12-Camel TT S600
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im intrested in importing a 300CE or 560SEC between 1985-1990 model..

have been searching abt them on some german sites.. since my german language capability is quite limited, i would really appreciate if someone would guide me to english websites..

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,110 Posts
RE: importing from Germany

Before you spend a whole lot of time looking for cars in Germany, you may want to think about how you will bring them over here.

For starters, shipping a car from Europe to the US is a minimum $1,000. Then you have to deal with the whole customs, federalizing, emissions, inspection monster.

You can most definitely find nice cars in Germany (mainly due to the fact that the annual German inspection, TUV, is very thorough and requires significant maintenance to pass) at reasonable prices (big engined cars are costly to run with gas at $8/gallon, costly to maintain and taxed to death), but unless you really know how to source, ship and import the cars, you'll likely be wasting your time.

·
Mercedes
9,038 Posts
RE: importing from Germany

AxelWulff - 5/9/2005 5:51 PM

Before you spend a whole lot of time looking for cars in Germany, you may want to think about how you will bring them over here.

For starters, shipping a car from Europe to the US is a minimum $1,000. Then you have to deal with the whole customs, federalizing, emissions, inspection monster.

You can most definitely find nice cars in Germany (mainly due to the fact that the annual German inspection, TUV, is very thorough and requires significant maintenance to pass) at reasonable prices (big engined cars are costly to run with gas at $8/gallon, costly to maintain and taxed to death), but unless you really know how to source, ship and import the cars, you'll likely be wasting your time.
Correct me if I am wrong, but theboss lives in Saudi Arabia.[?]

·
Registered
Two '87 570SECs, one '87 560SEL
4,448 Posts
FYI - it doesn't matter where the car comes from, Switzerland, Saudi Arabia, or the Orient. If it's not a US legal car then the entire conversion process is envoked.

Be careful on the entry process. If the Mercedes has a non-US VIN number, then it needs to be cleared by DOT and EPA or the insurance can be voided at any time (generally AFTER the accident, at which point you are completely liable for all damages and fees).

·
Registered
W126C AMG 6.0
846 Posts
I think he means that "theboss," being in Saudi Arabia, was talking about importing a German car to his location, not the U.S. Right? In that case, I'm not sure anyone here can help you. I think there is a forum member on the W124 forum named SixWheeler or something, that is in the Middle East and may know something about importing to that area...

·
Registered
12-Camel TT S600
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no dudes.. i know all stuff i have to do when importing and have the right connections with shipping companies and blah blah.. have a couple of friends working in Ro/Ro shipping.. they are specialized for shipping cars

the question is.. how to find the right car and whats would be the possible price.. im tight on budget here..it doesnt really matter if the car has smokey engine or leaking transmission.. saudi customs will pass any POS with right connections and some $$$

i am more concerned about getting a nice clean interior and exterior and a perfect to non electrical system, POS engine and tranny can be taken cared of well..

so in a nutshell..dont worry abt shipping and blah blah.. just help me find a car.. because i dont read german well..

·
Registered
12-Camel TT S600
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
since i will be trashing the engine and tranny.. i dont really care what size of sec is it.. any thing sec is ok 300sec, 380sec, 500sec, 560sec as long as it has got a good condition body, interior and perfect electrical system..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts