Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2001-W210-CAPRI METALIC BLUE-/ 2002-W210 E300D
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Forum;
I am done with waiting on MB, they say MAYBE a LEASE by 2010.

I do love my 210 and will keep it for highway ( autobaun ) trips, but with gas heading toward 8.00 US/Gal. it is ( past ) time for me to go to Canada for my B-car.

Does anyone have experience graying in a car to California????

Will I have tax or smog or registration problems?

Also, how nuch is the cost of a B Natural Gas car in canada.

THX

·
Registered
Our 3rd Black - "Betty B Bomber"
184 Posts
Hey Forum;
I am done with waiting on MB, they say MAYBE a LEASE by 2010.

I do love my 210 and will keep it for highway ( autobaun ) trips, but with gas heading toward 8.00 US/Gal. it is ( past ) time for me to go to Canada for my B-car.

Does anyone have experience graying in a car to California????

Will I have tax or smog or registration problems?

Also, how nuch is the cost of a B Natural Gas car in canada.

THX
Welcome, MRBSMITH.

We do have a forum member - CA-B200 who imported a B200 into California. You might want to PM her on what she had to do to get the car into the US from Canada. I know for a fact, though that the B200 (not sure about the Turbo) is not California legal - as far as emissions are concerned. (T2 BIN 5 LDV) In fact, the sticker under the hood does show CALIFORNIA: N/A - as far as my 2008 MY shows. (Again, not sure about Turbo)

But, again contact CA-B200 to be sure.

Alas, we only also get the normally aspirated B200 and the B200T in Canada. No diesels, no Natural Gas either. I do not believe those options will be available in the 2009 MY either.

Good luck, and keep us updated on getting a B into the US.

Cheers,

Martin

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rats...

Thank you martman..

I do have a pm in and hope that she can advise.
I am thinking that the B will be my next car, one way or the other.
I do have options for 'washing the title' in another state.

So MB can not get the motor clean enough for Cali???????

Wow
B

·
Registered
B200 CDI SE
2,248 Posts
Though it,s probably a darn sight cleaner than a lot of vehicles (Gas Guzzlers) you have driving there at the present. Especially CO2 wise

·
Registered
see signature
4,017 Posts
Mercedes certified the car for the USA so I think it is 50 state complaint. They just don't SELL it there, thanks to the former MBUSA head's snobbery/stupidity.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Mercedes certified the car for the USA so I think it is 50 state complaint. Tthey just don't SELL it there, thanks to the former MBUSA head's snobbery/stupidity.
I believe you are right there, Mike. 50 State compliant. Especially based on the info on the hood/bonnet sticker.

Martin

·
Registered
Several German cars
506 Posts
Two questions.

1 - Would someone post pictures of the emission stickers?

2 - What do you mean Mercedes certified the car for the USA?

For a car to be legally registered in California it must conform to 'CA' emissions not 'Tier 2 Bin 5'. If it does not have a CA emissions sticker then it can only be registered if it has over 7,500 miles on it and pass a smog test.

The Canadian B has no problem passing this smog test.

Several other states have or will adopt the CA standards so cars sold in those states must also have the CA sticker.

The 2008 Smart sold in Canada has a CA emission sticker so you can see what it looks like for comparison.

thank you

·
Registered
2006 B 200 .....& Audi A6..
8,164 Posts
I believe you are right there, Mike. 50 State compliant. Especially based on the info on the hood/bonnet sticker.

Martin
Hi Martin,
I went looking for any kind of a sticker with emissions info on it. Nothing that I could see under my hood/bonnet. :confused: What should I look for?
Is there less info on an 06 compared to an 08?
Derek

ps:Just checked old photos and realized that the sticker is under the hood/bonnet insulator and not easily accessible. Sorry!

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What a great forum, Thanks!

The response on this one, here and in IMs has been very helpful. so I am proceding and am prepaired to 'wash it' by registering it to my property in another state.

I think the B will be a great addition to the now growing MB fleet. It is obevious that MB is holding it back as it's margin is a little low.

Thanks again, I am sure that this will make an excellent "CITY CAR'.
B

·
Registered
184 Posts
The response on this one, here and in IMs has been very helpful. so I am proceding and am prepaired to 'wash it' by registering it to my property in another state.

I think the B will be a great addition to the now growing MB fleet. It is obevious that MB is holding it back as it's margin is a little low.

Thanks again, I am sure that this will make an excellent "CITY CAR'.
B
If you need it, I have some credits available at carcostcanada.com to help you along. Can obtain cost of the car and options.

Cheers,

Martin

·
Registered
2008 B200Turbo Red + HID
11 Posts
Importing B200Turbo Into the US...

I just purchased a B200Turbo in Edmonton, Alberta and am working on trying to import it into the US. This is not as easy as I thought!:banghead:

In order for US Customs (technically, they are now called Department of Homeland Security) to clear a vehicle for import you must prove that it is compliance with US EPA regulations and US FMVSS (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards). EPA compliance can be proven by either the OEM sticker under the hood (as shown in the posts) or by a letter from the OEM (on official OEM letterhead) that the vehicle in question (make/model/VIN) meets US EPA requirements. The importer must then file EPA form 3520-1 with US Customs. (http://www.epa.gov/otaq/imports/forms/3520-1.pdf)

This part of importation is not a challenge since all B200's and B200T's I've seen already have the US sticker. :)

The next challenge is to show compliance with the US FMVSS. Here you must file FMVSS Form HS-7 (http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/hs799short.pdf) indicating how the vehicle complies or why the vehicle may be an exception (e.g. government employee etc.) The options relavent here are:

2A. The vehicle has a US FMVSS sticker stating compliance.

or

2B. The vehicle has a CMVSS sticker stating compliance AND you have a letter from the OEM stating it meets the FMVSS Safety, Bumper and Theft Prevention Standards.

On all US and Canadian vehicles, MB places the safety compliance sticker on the driver's side door beam. My B200Turbo only has a CMVSS so I called MB-Canada to get a letter indicating compliance with FMVSS Safety, Bumper, and Theft Prevention Standards and they would not provide one since (they said) they have not tested the vehicle to that standard!:mad:

Fortunately (or so I thought:confused:) the US NHTSA provides a list (http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/elig050108.pdf) of nonconforming vehicles which ARE eligible for importation as long as they have the CMVSS sticker and for which you do NOT have to have this letter. The B200 and B200T are not specificly stated (02-07 Smart cars ARE!). There is, however, a "Catch All" classification (VSA-80) which is for all passenger cars not explicitly stated. It classifies cars based on manufacture date and then for each classification lists the specific FMVSS standard numbers which are required to be proven in compliance. The catch is that you must use a Registerd Importer (RI) who is certified by the US to import vehicles and will insure that all the listed standards are met by orginal equipment or that the vehicle has been modified to meet the standard. I have no estimate of how much this would cost; however, it appears there are no modifications required (as CA-B200 notes :wave:).

The NHTSA has a list of RI's and indicates those that are qualified to import Canadian vehicles. The list is found here http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/web_complete_RI_list5108.pdf There are many in Califronia including the famous G&K who are responsible for bringing in 2002-2006 European Smart cars and modifing them to meet EPA and FMVSS. These are not the MB-diesels but are Mercedes 0.7L turbocharged gasoline engines. I do know that J.K. Technologies has imported several foreign MB successfully and currently have a petition with the NHTSA on a G-wagon.
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/IMPORT ELIGIBILITY PETITION STATUS_03_31_2008.doc)

This is far as I have gotten. Any additional input is welcomed.:)

Shawn

·
Registered
see signature
4,017 Posts
I think it might be fruitful for you to print off a copy of the CMVSS and compare it, line for line, with the FMVSS of your country. You could then send a copy of the CMVSS to the Homeland Security boys and make your case. Get your elected federal representative involved to speed things up.

The CMVSS was in large part based upon the FMVSS. There are some exceptions though; the CMVSS allows for E-Code headlamps (but the CDN B-Class has USDOT headlights), for example.

The worst-kept secret in M-B land is that the B-Class was designed for the US market in the first place, so perhaps a letter to Doctor Zee's technical gurus in Stuttgart/Bad Cannstatt would give you some joy.

·
Registered
B200 CDI SE
2,248 Posts
Hi letrsnow & welcome to the forum, sorry to hear that you are having so problems trying to import your B into the States. Please keep us posted with your results as I'm sure that there are many out there that would like to import a B and once one has done so it should be easier for others to follow your procedure.

I don't suppose you could 'lend / hire to or temporarily sell' your car to someone in Canada to get the required 7,500 miles on it, get it back from them and then import it as Nadine (CA-B200) did as a used car.

·
Registered
2006 B 200 .....& Audi A6..
8,164 Posts
It seems an interesting technicality seeing as some US dealers are driving B's on US roads with blacked out VIN's :eek: in California.
Good Luck and please keep us up to date with your struggle!
Derek

·
Registered
B200 T 2007 Gone, Discovery Sport 2016
1,581 Posts
Shawn

Here in the West Coast several Custom Brokers have set up shop for the express purpose of cross border shopping of cars. I would contact a Custom Broker at the Manitoba border and see if they can help. The Brokers here even have mechanical services to upgrade cars from the U.S.A. to Canadian Standards ie; Daytime lights and metric speed odometers. Or back to miles if going south. My son has exported a few cars to the U.S.A. and has always used a broker, the fee makes things go faster and with less headaches.

Still a brand new car is a little more tricky.:banghead:

Bill

·
Registered
184 Posts
Aren't Canadian safety standards stricter than that of the US? For example, someone had told me that our bumper standards are different than those in the US. This is why cars such as the Mitsubishi EVO was not initially brought into Canada was because the bumper standards had to be met first. Another is, Canada requires all new cars to have ignition disable. I would have thought that bringing cars into the US from Canada would be easier.

Car manufacturers in Canada also always insist that the Canadian versions of the same car generally has more content that comes standard as well. . .ie: heated side mirrors, etc.

Then again, emission standards - especially in California is a different story altogether.

Good luck anyway in your effort to import a B into the US. As other forum members have said, keep us updated on your progress.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
And it gets worse....

As I want a LPG/Gasoline B.
That means geting it from Stutgart then to Canada, then to the US.
Unless I shuddenly get the extra time to do this I may have to wait on MB.

Film at 11:00
B

·
Registered
2008 B200Turbo Red + HID
11 Posts
Canadian vs US Safety Standards

Aren't Canadian safety standards stricter than that of the US? For example, someone had told me that our bumper standards are different than those in the US. This is why cars such as the Mitsubishi EVO was not initially brought into Canada was because the bumper standards had to be met first. Another is, Canada requires all new cars to have ignition disable. I would have thought that bringing cars into the US from Canada would be easier.

Car manufacturers in Canada also always insist that the Canadian versions of the same car generally has more content that comes standard as well. . .ie: heated side mirrors, etc.

Then again, emission standards - especially in California is a different story altogether.

Good luck anyway in your effort to import a B into the US. As other forum members have said, keep us updated on your progress.
The Canadian bumper standards are more strict; however the US airbag regulations are stricter than Canada's. And, there are new tire pressure monitoring regulations (NHTSA Standard #138) which are now different between the two. :crybaby2:

The emissions regulations between Canada an 45 states are identical. The US, however, has 5 rogue states :bowdown: :bowdown: (CA,NY,ME,NH,VT) which have instituted even more strick engine emissions regulations than the EPA.

·
Registered
2008 B200Turbo Red + HID
11 Posts
Registration/Title Process for Foreign Vehicle Imports

Shawn

Here in the West Coast several Custom Brokers have set up shop for the express purpose of cross border shopping of cars. I would contact a Custom Broker at the Manitoba border and see if they can help. The Brokers here even have mechanical services to upgrade cars from the U.S.A. to Canadian Standards ie; Daytime lights and metric speed odometers. Or back to miles if going south. My son has exported a few cars to the U.S.A. and has always used a broker, the fee makes things go faster and with less headaches.

Still a brand new car is a little more tricky.:banghead:

Bill
Bill,

Here is what I know for registration of import vehicle in MN. At the DMV You must supply the following:

1). Completed Minnesota Application for Title/Registration (PS-2000)
Found here: http://www.dps.state.mn.us/dvs/PDFForms/Forms/PS2000.pdf

2). CBP (Customs and Border Protection) Form 7501 completed, stamped, AND signed by a CBP officer.

3). Bill of Sale clearly showing ownership.

4). Copy of NHTSA Form HS-7 and OEM letter stating FMVSS compliance (option 2B) or NHTSA Form HS-7, copy of approved NHTSA petition (option 3), and copy of DOT bond letter/payment, and contract with RI!

5). Original NHTSA Bond release letter if a bond was required for import.

6). Copy of EPA Form 3520-1 and OEM letter stating EPA compliance.

7). A bottle of aspirin and Hemorid Creme to allieviate the pain in the neck and ass the whole import system process is! :banghead:

I managed to call JK Technologies and talked with a lady who was very helpful. They are willing to petition NHTSA on the MB B200 to find out if they will allow the vehicle as a VCP (no US equivalent vehicle which complies or is capable of being modified to comply with FMVSS) at no cost. I have to send in my OEM letter of CVMSS and Canadian EPA compliance as well as information in regards to the chassis number (W245).

Just on a hunch, I called a couple of other RI's who specifically import Canadian vehicles and can perform the compliance mod's and they were pretty much of no help. So, it sounds like JK is the real "Go Getter" of the bunch.

When I called the MB-Canada compliance department, I got the following lady:

Maria Fernandes
Product Compliance Coordinator
Mercedes-Benz Canada Inc.
Tel. 416-847-7383
Fax. 416-425-4754
E-mail: [email protected]

She really didn't provide much insight other than to offer the EPA/CMVSS letter.

Shawn

1 - 20 of 47 Posts