Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2006 ML350
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Hope, I have posted this in the correct forum. Anyways, I was in the market for M-Class ML350 but with the potential release of R-Class, I am thinking of waiting and buy R-350.

Both the vehicles do seem different but it is based on same platform and R-Class does provide benefits of 3rd row seating.

Do you guys think, R-Class release will negatively impact M-Class, does it make sense to wait to buy M-Class once R-Class is released, to better negotiate price on M-Class. Your inputs will be highly appreciated.. Thanks

·
Registered
2020 MB GLE 450 4MATIC, 2015 BMW M4
2,117 Posts
firstmb - 3/24/2005 7:49 AM

Hello All,

Hope, I have posted this in the correct forum. Anyways, I was in the market for M-Class ML350 but with the potential release of R-Class, I am thinking of waiting and buy R-350.

Both the vehicles do seem different but it is based on same platform and R-Class does provide benefits of 3rd row seating.

Do you guys think, R-Class release will negatively impact M-Class, does it make sense to wait to buy M-Class once R-Class is released, to better negotiate price on M-Class. Your inputs will be highly appreciated.. Thanks
The R-Class will not impact the M-Class to any great extent. Those going for the GST (R) want/need the extra seating that the ML does not provide. It is more of a morphed station wagon, whereas the ML is a truck at heart with greater towing and cargo capacity and off-road ability. Now the GST and Gelandewagen are a different issue, because their seating capacity is similar; however there is still the same car/truck difference.

M-B has obviously try to define discreet markets so the vehicles do not cnabalize each other too much.

·
Registered
ML350 Iridium/Black
182 Posts
actually, if the R-Class were available this Fall, when i need a new car, i would have shopped it directly against the M-class, despite the different format of the cars. I think the R-class will steal some potential m-class buyers - i.e. you walk into the showroom to see the M, then see the R, and say "hey, what's that?"....

·
Registered
2020 MB GLE 450 4MATIC, 2015 BMW M4
2,117 Posts
jjl1 - 3/24/2005 4:35 PM

actually, if the R-Class were available this Fall, when i need a new car, i would have shopped it directly against the M-class, despite the different format of the cars. I think the R-class will steal some potential m-class buyers - i.e. you walk into the showroom to see the M, then see the R, and say "hey, what's that?"....
That's true to a degree. The other factor, though, is that it will be quite a bit more expensive than the ML. The GST350 will be about $10k more than the ML350, though it may come with more standard equipment. I really like the design, despite the crude comparisons some people make to the Pacifica.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts