Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1990 560 SEL & 1995 E300D
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all....I currently own a 1990 560 SEL (I can't begin to tell you how pleased I am with this vehicle) and am contemplating the purchase of a 1987 300 D Turbo Diesel that has 205,000 miles. It has a repaint (within the last 2 years) which was very well done. I had occasion to drive it today and we started it in 18* weather and it fired up just fine.....and it also has a block heater which wasn't attached prior to startup. Except for a bit of "wandering" in the front end I found it to be one fine riding car....impressive pickup for a diesel, near new tires.....while it doesn't come with a service history I can tell you it rides tighter than the dickens. The interior is beautiful except for two minor cracks in the dash and one small hairline crack in the wood on the console.

I am aware this is the only year they produced the I6 for import to the US in the 300D Turbo. Would parts parts be difficult to find as a result? Can you think of any other things I should consider before plopping down my cash?

Your thoughts regarding this potential purchase is greatly appreciated. I am convinced the purchase price will be less than $2,500 (US) after we haggle. My mechanic suggests that I can likely expect to drop yet another $2,000 into it to get it the way I want it (he knows me far too well and I expect nothing short of near perfect mechanically when he is done).

Your thoughts and suggestions are most wanted and sincerely appreciated!

Respectfully,

Gary

·
Registered
1990 560 SEL & 1995 E300D
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hey BusyBenz,

I want to thank you for your very detailed reply. It is my understanding the stamp for the new/old head appears next to the #2 injector....is this true?

Wouldn't a cracked head show obvious signs of loss of coolant/oil, either on the ground while parked or thru the exhaust while under way?

As for the trap oxidizer I am relieved that it has since been replaced. The new one is definitely rectangular and measures greater than 12" long and much more narrow than 8".

The radiator is brand new oem. If I end up buying this car I would definitely replace all fluids, hoses and thermostat, but do you really feel the water pump should be replaced in short order?

I truly value your comments and thank you in advance for any future replies!

Gary

·
Registered
2002 VW Golf TDI
26 Posts
Im trying to learn more about the W124 Diesels, is there a good place to read up on the year to year changes?

I6 3.0 liter turbo sure sounds good to me!

·
Registered
03 G500 & 95 E320 Wagon
261 Posts
I have an 87 300D Turbo with 270k miles on it. It's been an awesome car. I put in a rebuilt transmission at 255k. Other than, it's just an oil change every 3k.

If you buy one, have the compression checked. I am hoping to get 500k out of it. Now if the engine fails, it's an easy 6-7k.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts