Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of weeks ago I had a brand new Toyota Avalon (I believe it was the sport version) for loaner. Very nice car. Interior looked great, well built, exterior is OK. It did lack power though but the thing that most surprised me was Toyota's attempt at executing a manmatic tranny. This thing was terrible!!! First of all, the shift gate is not configured at all for easy shifts - down shifts or upshifts never get you to the next gear, always a gear higher!!! Then it was very stiff to shift into the gears. It felt so unlike a Toyota thing that I wondered why they didn't just copy the Benz's. Anyone else driven Toyotas with this feature?

·
Registered
2011 GLK,2007 S550,2003 S55,2008 CLK,2009 C300,1996 E300,2005 E320,2002 E3
1,355 Posts
DMan:
I drove my sisters Mitsubishi and it was a rough shift also[:(] Maybe because I was testing its 0-60 time.-LOL I hope she doesnt read this post anywhere[:0]

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You'll be hearing from her in the morning, count on it.

The ML's touch shift feature is really excellent in comparison, and the ML's is not even as good as the E Class' system. I wonder what the Porche's and the Lexus' feel like.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550 FORMER: C300, ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
20,038 Posts
RE: You'll be hearing from her in the morning, count on it.

The ML's touch shift feature is really excellent in comparison, and the ML's is not even as good as the E Class' system. I wonder what the Porche's and the Lexus' feel like.
Part of the reason is that the MBZ transmission actually “shifts� when you tell it to, and it is designed to shift much more quickly than a standard automatic. Some implementations of “manu-matic� (non-MBZ Chrysler, Mitsubishi, Acura, Lexus) are nothing more than fancy ways to select gears 4-3-2-1 like you could do with a standard shifter.

I question your comment about “the ML’s is not even as good as the E-Class’� since they are the same. The only difference is that at some point in time, they reprogrammed the system so that (a) the downshift is not down one gear per tap, but down to the gear the computer thinks you want and (b) the transmission will automatically up-shift at redline instead of doing a fuel-cutoff.

The Lexus implementation is terrible, partly because they have a lot of “slip� in the transmissions in order to make them more smooth (although I understand the new GS is better). Porsche and Audi use the same “Tiptronic� system. My wife’s A6 has that, but I do not like it as much as the MB system. First of all, you have to tip the stick to get it in “manual� mode whereas the MBZ is always ready to tap. Also, I think the side-to-side motion of MBZ’s shifter is more natural than the fore-aft of Tiptronic.

- RODNEY

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Yeah, I do agree that the side-side movement is more natural. About the E-Class/ML tranny, I don't think they're the same tranny and they don't even have the same software - I was told that on this site several years ago. the E seems to downshift somewhat smoother than the ML. At speed, if I push and hold, my E downshifts to 4 and stays there (MB's user manual calls 4th gear the "sports" driving gear). On the ML (at least on my now gone 02 320), it goes to 4th, engine brakes and then to 3, causing a somewhat jerky not so smooth transition. I haven't tried it yet on the more powerful V8 ML500. My gues is that it'll shift smoother.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550 FORMER: C300, ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
20,038 Posts

Both use the 722.6 transmission and the same TCM unit. It is possible that the TCM is programmed differently for the E, but my guess is that the difference is related to the extra weight of the ML.

- RODNEY

1 - 6 of 6 Posts