Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Always Remembered RIP
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm viewing a couple 300SLs ('86 & '88) tomorrow and have a few quick quiestions
1) What MPG do these return urban.
2) Do these cars have much computer management and can DIY servicing & maintanence be caried out without the the need of diagnostic computers etc..
3) Are their any weak points they suffer with (headgaskets, wiring, rust etc.)
4) I think the one I like the sound of more doesn't have the hardtop (forgot to ask[:I]). Can you buy these easily and how much do the fetch?
5) And finally, how easy is the hardtop to remove and what's the best way to store the hardtop when it's not in use.

·
Registered
1986 560-SL
57 Posts
Tomorrow

1. I have an '86 560 SL Mileage is about 13 for the city. A few more for the road - but I do love to put the foot down!!

2. I sent to MB for the maintenance CD. Covers body, engine, service, etc. Well worth it. I found this after I had already invested in several hard copy manuals.

3. Since I don't have the model that you are looking for, make sure everything works - wipers, A/C, lights, radio........if there's a knob, turn or poke it. Most people keep the maintenance records, ask to take a look. Has the old freon system been up-dated?

4. I've not seen many (haven't looked) hardtops for sale. You could try www.hemings.com

5. It's a 2 person job to install/remove the top unless you have a winch installed in the garage. I store the hard top a a special caddy and it's kept covered.

Good luck !

·
Registered
350SLC, 500SLC, 300TE, 190E2.3 Sportline
690 Posts
The W107 300SL runs the same M103 engine as the 300E. Everything you have read about the M...

The W107 300SL runs the same M103 engine as the 300E. Everything you have read about the M103 on the W124 forum will apply. They run an ECU as part of the Bosch KE-Jetronic and also have breakerless electronic ignition. Service and maintenance need not involve electronic diagnostic equipment unless something goes wrong. Fuel consumption will be similar or slightly worse than a 300E. I would consider rust to be one of the major weaknesses of the W107, especially if it suffers water leaks. I would consider them more prone to rust than the W124. They run an ECU as part of the Bosch KE-Jetronic and also have breakerless electronic ignition. Service and maintenance need not involve electronic diagnostic equipment unless something goes wrong.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts