Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 350SDL with an oil leak that has developed near the front top of the engine. After cleaning it off, it seems that oil is seeping from around one of the head bolts.

Does this mean a new head gasket? :eek:

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Could be a head gasket. Replacing the HG isn't really that big of a deal....

But you had better deal with it right away since letting it go is going to create bigger problems and bigger repair bills or worse.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am good with cars - replaced the evaporator, rebuilt the rear hubs, etc, but never did a head gasket. The things that worry me are having to remove and rest the chain and then I guess I would have to adjust the valves also.

Any way to tell for sure?

·
Registered
375 Posts
add some UV dye to the oil. they sell it at most auto parts places. clean your engine off again and see where the dye seeps out. this will give you more of a sure idea of the leak. you will need to UV light to properly see the dye though.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
your car has hydraulic tappets and would require no valve adjustment.

The chain is nothing to be afraid of. you can put a wire through the sprocket and around the chain in a couple of spots, and you won't have to worry about losing the position of the timing chain.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
your car has hydraulic tappets and would require no valve adjustment.

The chain is nothing to be afraid of. you can put a wire through the sprocket and around the chain in a couple of spots, and you won't have to worry about losing the position of the timing chain.
The tying up the chain/sprocket idea is interesting.

On the valve adjustment - I am assuming you have to take the rocker arms off when removing the head to allow removal of the pushrods? Don't you have to adjust them afterwards?

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
no no no. You are not working on a chevy V8.

There are no push rods. Your engine is of the overhead cam design. The camshaft and valves are located in the cylinder head. The cam sprocket is driven by the timing chain and actuates the rockers, which actuate the lifters, which actuate the valves. All within the cylinder head. With the exhaust and intake manifolds removed, and the cam cover, the cam gear has to be removed from the cam (with the chain tied up to prevent lineup issues later). This is simplified- there are more steps.. fluids, etc.

But basically once you are ready to remove the head, then you remove the head. It's all self contained. There is no reason to disassemble anything within the cylinder head, other than removing the cam sprocket itself.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like that. So no adjustments to the valves whatsoever? They can not get out of adjustment? I've never worked on an OHC design. But it may be time...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts