Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at buying a 1994 SL 600 with 73k original miles and a clean carfax. I'm buying it with the plan that I can drive it during the summer then sell it for a small profit at the end of the summer. It has a clean carfax, no accidents, 2 owners (one for 13 years, the second for 3 months). The second owner is selling to finance a business opportunity that came up 2 weeks ago.

It is black with black interior. Are there specific things to look for on the SL series that are problematic? What is a reasonable price to pay for the car? I don't have a good feel for the accuracy of KBB on this car's value.

Let me know what you think!

·
Registered
500SE AMG, E350 4matic, GL 450
5,947 Posts
NADA will give you a better idea as to the value of the car. A clean carfax is not enough. Have a pre-purchase inspection done at a good independant shop that works on mercedes.

·
Banned
99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
4,583 Posts
Seeing that gas prices are at an all time high with no end in the future, a V12 premium required gas guzzling monster isn't exactly your best bet. Add on top a failing economy and the worst new/used car market that we have seen in decades, your chances of buying an SL600 and selling it at ANY profit are slim to none. I'm sorry but your idea makes zero sense. If this was 1998, then it might work.

·
Administratoris Emeritus
2024 SL770
46,637 Posts
Make sure the faulty engine wire harness issue has been resolved and that there aren't any ancillary issues related to harness failure, such as bad throttle actuators and/or their corresponding control unit.

Also, you must realize that these V12's have an absolutely horrific resale value, which is likely to continue to decline rapidly, considering the escalating cost of fuel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts