Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Premium Member
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
6,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For many reasons - all of them boiling down to dollars - it's time for me to say goodbye to my Mercedes. Right now it's running perfectly, nothing needs to be done, and if I keep it and drive it, something will break. If I keep it and don't drive it, something will break. Either way, keeping it is a recipe for either a lower selling price, or a maintenance cost I can't afford.

I've debated offering it for sale here, and I'm still conflicted about that. If it was bought by someone I "know", I'd want to know what was happening. If I found out it was wrecked, or anything else that caused it to be scrapped and sold for parts, I'd have to curse the buyer for the careless, cheap-ass bastard he would be, and hate him till the end of my days.

I work with someone who is originally from Germany, and someone else who is originally from England, and I will be offering it in both those countries. The dollar is weak against the Euro and the Pound both, so I'm hoping I can get more for it, and in the same stroke ensure that I never, ever hear anything about it in the future. It's much better thinking my car was taken to a continent with wide roads, no speed limits, and open-access race tracks, to roll its stately way down the Autobahn as it was intended, forever and ever.

Kind of like that dog your parents took out to live on a farm when you were a kid.

·
One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
1997 SL500- 40th Anniversary
7,166 Posts
...it's time for me to say goodbye to my Mercedes....
Wishing you the best. Remember... It IS only a car. There will be others that will tickle your fancy, and grace your garage.

Good Luck...

·
Registered
1979 280SL, 1984 280SL
5,656 Posts
As the man from 'Bama said, it is only a car. I guess that BMW has some endearing qualities!

I'm always toying with selling my 560. Doesn't mean I wouldn't keep hanging around. Your input will always be welcome here!

·
Always Remembered RIP
1979 280sl 4 sp w/ac 1957 MGA 1998 volvo xc/70 2004 F150
6,050 Posts
Sorry to hear it Scott but there area lot of bends and turns on the road of life, maybe you'll find another one along the way. Anyway good luck, thanks and stick around. Just cause you may not have one in the future dosen't mean you have to leave.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,978 Posts
Thanks for all of your contributions, Scott. We'll miss you. A real loss for us.

·
Premium Member
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
6,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess that BMW has some endearing qualities!
It does, I won't argue that, but it isn't my Mercedes. I like the boy-racer feel it has, and the 5 speed lets me wring every drop of performance out of it. But I really lucked out with my MB, and it has no squeaks, rattles, or whines. It was well taken care of for all its life, and it shows. It's a hell of a tough act to follow, even with another 107.

The BMW, on the other hand, was neglected and abused for much of its life, and that shows, too. I don't think there's a part on it that doesn't make some kind of noise every time I go over a pebble. At 136K miles, it's still running on the original shocks, which should tell you something (besides that it drives like a truck). It will work for what we intended - cheap, reliable transportation for MOH that doesn't leave us completely cold. But I'll never love it the way I love my MB.

·
Registered
82 380SL 96 SL500 03 SL500
6,164 Posts
I'd say stay around for the bitchin and moanin but after reading your reasoning in trying to sell overseas you probably would rather not.

Best wishes in your future, Scott.

·
Registered
1989 560SL
152 Posts
As one of the noob's you have helped by answers, pictures, and even by LD telephone to get me through some rough spots with where all the vacuum hoses go, thanks for all your help. New comers will miss a great resource when you go.

·
Registered
1980 450SL & 1988 560SL
1,667 Posts
Won't be the same old forum without you around. Sorry to hear your selling. I think you have already replace everything that could break. Keep it.

·
Premium Member
Audi A8, Land Rover
276 Posts
Don't do it! :)

Hey Scott, I understand... I purchased #1513 to restore and budget is certainly part of the reason I'm selling, however I will likely NEVER sell #1992.

You will find her a good home and someone else will enjoy!

Cheers!

·
Registered
1987 Mercedes-Benz 560 SL
973 Posts
Best of luck with the sale, and in all your future automotive adventures, Scott. And thanks for all the invaluable contributions you've made to this group over the years.

Auf wiedersehen!

Good road,

·
Registered
1989 Astral Silver 560SL
253 Posts
Good luck with the sale. I can certainly understand changing financial priorities, we all do what we do. You have been a great resource for so many. I now the future isn't written but do you think you will ever get another 107?

These machines are addictive, I just want to know if it is possible to get off the 107. Are you going through a 12 step program or just doing it cold turkey on your own? :D

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,504 Posts
Yep.

It's the prettiest 107 I've ever driven.
...........and that you ever dragged sand into and laid a half decent patch of rubber during that donut down near the beach....'member? 'Member?

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,841 Posts

Ha!

I do remember the GPS sending us around the block a few times trying to get home.

Maybe the donut did that?

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,504 Posts
1 - 20 of 100 Posts