Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From a no longer young farm boy, I sure walked head first into a bedazzler!
Beige Dman Fish and Rmac,,,you guys rock! OK, I have a '80 300 td 190 chassis, and thanks to suggestions and support by these better than shade tree mechanics, I contacted the classic center and after sending photos and the casting number, I know the engine and tranny in my car did not come with my car. I have a turbo diesel from an 83 TD. Bonus horsepower for me.
So My simple question becomes if I bypass the EGR ( I put a bearing ball in the hose ) do the two white cam operated valves on top of the valve cover become unneccessary, do I only need one of them, basically can I simplify my setup. Will this car absolutely have a bowden cable? I don't see one attached at the top of the valve cover and I see some models don't.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Photos of my set-up

here are the photos of my set-up.
1. The EGR has now been disconnected and has a steel shot plugging the line.
2. what is the post on the top of that cam disk for?
3. I have 15 in vacuum at the T off the main line going to the tranny vacuum side...the white hose. 280.jpg

281.jpg

282.jpg

·
Registered
2013 MINI Copper S Clubman, '84 300CD-weekend car
10,152 Posts
Not sure, as that is a set up I'm not familiar with.

You can temporarily plug off the lines and see how that affects your shifts.

You do not have a Bowden cable, the pressure control is actuated by linkage.

The cams on the valve cover change vacuum as you accelerate, 15 inHg of vacuum is good.

The lower vac connection on the VCV is a vent, the black leads hook into that.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Looks like you have a combination of a turbo diesel engine (617.95x) plus the older transmission from the original car ('80 300td). I say this because the absence of the bowden cable means transmission adjustment is by the adjustment rods as shown in your photos.

The section/levers on your valve cover are not right for a turbo diesel model, this means it might have been rigged up or based from the original configuration (non turbo '80 300 diesel engine).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts